Author Topic: Brush types for water based finishes?  (Read 2319 times)

Offline Red Dwarf

Brush types for water based finishes?
« on: March 03, 2009, 07:36:40 pm »
I am going to try some water based Varathane as a finish on my next bow but am unsure as to the best type of brush for the application of this type of finish.
Any help/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Red Dwarf

Offline Jesse

Re: Brush types for water based finishes?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 07:47:37 pm »
A sponge brush will work. With a water based finish you will most likely get grain raise on the first coat. Just sand it back flat or you can cause the grain to raise before you seal it with a damp paper towel and sand it first. You might have to do it a few times. On my last bow I used a coat of shellac first and it worked great. No grain raise and a much richer looking finish than just water base alone. Water based finish is a clear washed out finish that will not build a thick looking coat and it wont bring out the grain but I think its more durable than oil based and it dries ten times as fast.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 08:26:15 pm »
whywould you want to reintruduce moisture into the already dried wood like that.
personaly i never use water base finishes on bows
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 09:14:16 pm »
I would do what Jesse suggested about wiping with a damp cloth to raise the grain before applying the finish.  I do this when I use a waterbased aniline dye.  I would suggest a Purdy brand brush for waterbased finishes.  The brush is a bit pricey compared to others, but it is a really nice brush that will last a long time with a little care.  As far as reintroducing moisture to dry wood.  I really don't find this to be a problem.  You are not soaking the wood,  You are only applying a light coat of dye or finish.  Just put it in the hotbox and there goes the moisture. ;)  Also a waterbased finish solves all odor problems.  So if you are confined to working in a place where harmfull odors are a problem the waterbased finish will not cause any distress.  As Jesse said the water based finish is has a much more natural look, it doesn't create that oily built up look.
Traverse City, MI

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 08:46:19 am »
With latex base finish you will want to use a hair/ poly mix brush  (a straight pig hair brush will tend to balloon out as it absorbs water). If you don't already have a brush I personally wouldn't invest a lot of money in a pricey brush; more importantly is keeping crud out of your poly finish, not creating a lot of bubbles in the poly, applying several thin coats, and sanding between coats with a high grit sand paper, at least a 220 grit. And once the poly has started to dry, leave it alone.
Good luck
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 12:51:56 pm »
Let me know how it goes with the Varathane water based. I now use spar urethane on bows and snow shoes. It's a great waterproofing agent. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!