Author Topic: Request: List of bow woods in Western NY (AKA buffalo)  (Read 2659 times)

Offline Kitsu

• Räven bakom masken
Request: List of bow woods in Western NY (AKA buffalo)
« on: March 02, 2009, 10:41:58 pm »
Alright, i have noticed alot of great ones so far, white oak, red oak, black cherry, black walnut, a few types of maple, ummmmm beech, birch, and elm as far as ive seen so far, if anyone has any more info or would like to post pictures of the following or do anything to help me, and/or some of my friends interested irl as well, it would be appreciated, (i am still NEW to making self bows, but my friends think that the one im working on is really nice and they want to make one as well) (that and this site isnt blocked at my school so i can see this during lunch time so its good for me  >:D)
"If you open your mind for me
You won't rely on open eyes to see
The walls you build within come tumbling down
And a new world will begin" ----- Queensryche, "Silent Lucidity

R.H , Southeastern PA/Western PA.

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
Re: Request: List of bow woods in Western NY (AKA buffalo)
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 12:39:36 am »
im just down the road from you, (north central Pennsylvania, just a mile ove the border) and weve got much the same trees here. the ones youve listed are good. you shouldd also have hickory up there.

of your list, for your first few i would stay away from chery and beech. they can make a bow, but theyre on the bottom of my list. the best will be probably hickory, elm, white oak and red oak. you cant really go wrong there. with these woods, cut em in the spring like around march or april when the sap is running. this way as soon as you cut em, the bark will just peel right off in big sheets. seal the ends and youve got the back of your bow.

Phil
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 09:06:04 am »
Hawkeyes, I live a short ways from you, just south of erie. I,ve seen a beautiful bow made out of Hawthorn and also we seem to have alot of hophornbeam in this area(ironwood) .                       Good Luck Bob

Offline snedeker

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 11:11:09 am »
Sugar maple?

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 12:33:30 pm »
Black locust.....?
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Mattco

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 02:22:36 pm »
I'm practically in your backyard [ Lancaster NY} Common hickory around here is shagbark and mockernut. I'm working now on a couple of hard maple staves - Matt

Offline Kitsu

• Räven bakom masken
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 05:26:55 pm »
nice to see helpful people,  and uhhh, i am trying to find a few new woods to try, it seems you live close, im surprised how many people are close to me :P
"If you open your mind for me
You won't rely on open eyes to see
The walls you build within come tumbling down
And a new world will begin" ----- Queensryche, "Silent Lucidity

R.H , Southeastern PA/Western PA.