Author Topic: could you pls tell me a book that will teach me to make arrows from square wood  (Read 3698 times)

teddybear111111

pls could you tell me a book for making arrows from scrach i mean as in having to make the arrow shaft round i now how to cut nocks and add fleaching but not made my won shafts or fleachings would love to make the on my reonakemnt shows
thank you

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Teddy, Take a 3/8" x3/8" x 30" long piece of wood appropriate for arrows and remove the 4 corners with a plane.  Now you have 8 corners. Remove the 8 corners and you have 16 but your shaft is almost round. A bit of sanding will get you there. You can buy a cheap thumb plane from ACE hardware for $10 or less.
   Right off hand I can remember a book that describes the process.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

teddybear111111

thank you

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Like Pat said.  With a little practice, you can make some good shafts with the thumb plane. Jay Massey's arrowmaking chapter in the first Traditional Bowyer's Bible has some good info, but what Pat descibed is what it all boils down to. I drill a hole the same size as the diameter of the finished shafts I want (say 11/32") in a block of wood and use it as a gauge to see how mch more to plane off.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Barrage

here's a couple good methods that duffontap posted in the build alongs

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,453.0.html
Travis

Offline hedgeapple

Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!