Author Topic: First bow, made it to tillering process....suggestions?  (Read 7722 times)

Offline 22arrows

First bow, made it to tillering process....suggestions?
« on: March 02, 2009, 01:00:11 pm »
Hiya fellas,
I'm new around this site and thought I'd post since I building my first bow. I had some issues early on, but I confident I have them taken care of.
So I kept goin and made it to the tillering process. Here's what she look like so far using a long rope drawn to 28 inches. Mind you I don't have a scale yet, so I cant say what she's pullin at the moment

Opinions and suggestions are welcomed

Thanks

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: First bow, made it to tillering process....suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 01:11:59 pm »
Yep....you are correct...do some more scraping on the Left Limb....leave the Right alone until they match....and post some more Pictures....and make sure they are as straight as possible...so there is no optical illusions to deal with ....have the Tree perfectly vertical and the Bow Horizontal as Possible...it really helps to see problems when everything is right....good job so far ....remember....slow and steady will keep you from making Kindling Wood!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline 22arrows

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 01:19:25 pm »
Thanks I'll get working on it and I'll try to get the next set of pics level for everyone.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 01:21:06 pm »
You need more bending near the handle. Leave the outer  limbs alone. There's info  on my site. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline 22arrows

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 02:02:31 pm »
Thanks for the help all
Ok did a bit more shaving and tried to level the pics. Heres what I got; I think it looks better. What are your thoughts?
So should I now concentrate on getting more of the limb to bend?

Offline Jesse

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 02:18:50 pm »
I would work the inner limbs and leave the outer for now. Looks like a slight hinge starting on the right mid outer limb.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline PeteC

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 02:23:56 pm »
You need to get the inner 1/3 of each limb working.If not it will set bad.Don't take any more wood off the outer 2/3 of the limbs,until the bend near the handle matches the rest of the limbs..(especially the right limb ,1/3 from tip,or you will be fightin' a hinge ). God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Badbill

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 02:29:43 pm »
Go down to Family Dollar, or Wal-mart and get a cheap bathroom scale for $10. That will work for now.

Offline Kenny H

• still learning!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 02:43:20 pm »
I am new to the bow building also and a hard lesson that I learned is exactly what they are telling you. You have to work from your fades out to the tips only when you start getting the inner 3rd of the limbs bending even. The rest will kinda fall into place. At least it will be easier for you to get the tiller even without taking to much weight off and minimal set. Jawges site really helped me. If you make the bow bend through the handle a little I think is much easier. Like a C instead of a D. Hope I don't confuse you only trying to help. I bought a set of fish scales in the fishing department at Walmart that weighs up to 60 pounds and they was only $6. They work perfect for what I do. Oh yeah did anyone tell you to take your time and go slow with the wood. :) Exercise the limbs before you pull them each time. I'm not sure but I think this helps with the set. Only my opinion I don't have any proof but it worked for me. Welcome                              Kenny
Kenneth Hughes

Offline 22arrows

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 02:51:49 pm »
Great info thanks fellas, I really appreciate all your help. I am gonna run to wally world and see if I can get a fishing scale of some sort.

Thanks, I'll post more in a while.

Offline 22arrows

Back to the drawing board
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 04:09:35 pm »
Well back to the drawing board :'( The bow broke while I was working on the tiller process. I was working on the first 1/3rd of the limbs trying to get them to bend. While working the limb a bit after doing some shaving, I guess I went a touch too far or shave a bit too much off?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 04:13:15 pm »
looks like it broke right where it was Hinging
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Kenny H

• still learning!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 06:35:03 pm »
Don't give up 22! I had 6 or 7 break before i even got one to stay together and it finally broke. You will learn something from each one that does. On the next one don't worry about your handle area until you get it all tillered. Start closest to the handle(fade) and work your way out toward the tips after they bend just a little. I would start with a bow that bent through the handle first, they are easier to tiller. I worried to much about the wrong things and overlooked the obvious. Hope this helps you in someway. Post some pics when you get to that same stage again on the next bow and someone on here much better than me will maybe draw lines on your picture and show you what they are talking about. they did it for me and thats how i figured it out..    Kenny
Kenneth Hughes

Offline adb

Re: Back to the drawing board
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 08:45:26 pm »
Well back to the drawing board :'( The bow broke while I was working on the tiller process. I was working on the first 1/3rd of the limbs trying to get them to bend. While working the limb a bit after doing some shaving, I guess I went a touch too far or shave a bit too much off?

I definately don't think you took off too much wood! I think you just went too far, too soon. You were starting to get a hinge in the later 1/3 of that limb, with absolutely no bending at the fades. If all the work of bending is consentrated in one small area... kaboomski! Remember the single, simple rule of tillering: remove wood where the limb does not bend, and leave alone the areas that bend too much. Don't give up!!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 09:04:10 pm by adb »

Offline Gordon

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 08:48:08 pm »
Too bad about the break, but if you make wooden bows that's part of the deal.

One suggestion though - in the future use a shorter string. It is difficult to accurately guage tiller with such a long string. I use a string just long enough to get it on without bracing.
Gordon