Author Topic: IPE question???  (Read 8920 times)

whitewoodshunter

IPE question???
« on: February 26, 2009, 08:00:06 pm »
I am going to be starting on a bamboo backed IPE bow and was wonder what, if anything, I needed to clean the Ipe back with before I glue on the bamboo? the glue will be TB3

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: IPE question???
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 08:02:22 pm »
Ipe is a pretty oily wood. I would use acetone to degrease it. Others might have a better solution(Pun intended)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 08:50:40 pm »
i would do as Pat said,use acetone.
nice pun Pat :D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline bcbull

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 09:07:39 pm »
as pat said  use acetone  iv done over 200 all with tb3  and i use acetone  let it dry a while and do it agin  no plms   brock

Offline Jesse

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 09:16:16 pm »
Use acetone or naptha. Do it right before you glue. The oils return to the surface fairly quickly. if you degrease it like the day before it will have no effect. If you dont clean it good you can pull the pieces apart easily if you use tite bond3.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

whitewoodshunter

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 09:23:52 pm »
Should the back be sanded with fine sandpaper after the the acetone dries? And would Lacquer thinner from a body shop work?( I work in a body shop)

Offline Jesse

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 09:32:20 pm »
If using tb3 I would sand it dead flat with 50 or 80 grit then use the acetone. You dont have to wait more than 2 minutes for the acetone to flash off. no fine sandpaper and no sanding after you clean it.
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Stonedog

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 03:32:05 pm »
I have had real good luck with Urac and actone.....mix the Urac.....degreased with acetone....slap it together and wrap it with strips of inner tube.....
Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

-Aiel Saying

Offline Muina

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 04:27:41 pm »
I've had a couple of problems with glueing ipe, I read on the internet (can't remember which site) that cellulose thinner works for degreasing it but my bamboo backing just popped off straight out of the form.

The glue I'm using is called Resintite (like the cascamite that bowyers apparently used to use), I've ordered some Urac and I've seen bows made with this glue that haven't been degreased at all that seem to work fine but should I be safe and do it anyway? And does the cellulose thinner actually work?

Thanks for your help

nickf

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 05:32:27 pm »
I glued on 2 staves without degreasing, and both are doing fine, seems to hold very firmly. one if them is the bbi pyramid I posted here.
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,11595.0.html
but degreasing is really smart, acetone will do the job perfectly.

Nick

Offline Jesse

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 05:40:20 pm »
I think it depends on the board. Some is really oily and you can peal the glue right off if you dont clean it.
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline sailordad

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2009, 05:58:37 pm »
why take the chance of having an adhesion failure,just clean with acetone and dont worry
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Muina

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2009, 05:59:40 pm »
Thanks, does anyone know where to find acetone in England? It's nail polish remover right? Would they have it in B&Q?

Again, thanks for the help

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2009, 07:11:13 pm »
Muina, acetone is also used for paint thinning and cleanup. Try any local hardware store and you should find some on the shelf right next to the mineral spirits and other paint thinner.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Muina

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 11:39:01 am »
I tried in all the hardware stores near me, none of them had it and only one of them had heard of it. I'll see if I can get some off the net unless anyone can advise me? I'm in the North of England (Hull) so if anyone knows of anywhere nearby that sells it.

Thanks

P.S. Could anyone tell me anywhere to buy Urac 185 in England? I've had to order some from MissouriTrading and I'm still waiting for their e-mail about a different delivery price.