Main Discussion Area > Around the Campfire

what would you bring?

<< < (5/6) > >>

Wolf Watcher:
Depends on the area and season.  Taught a couple of survival training classes where we actually went to the woods in coastal Oregon in the spring and it was really tough!
1.  Big Knife
2.  sling shot
3.  fishing line and hooks (in season)
4.  small tarp
5.  rope
6. hatchet
7. pocket sized magnesium fire starter
8. combination cooking pot water pan
9. roll of heavy twine
10:  And Mike Huston  O:) O:)    Joe

DanaM:
If you know your going to be in a survival situation I guess I would bring the Coast Gaurd :)

As has been stated, when you do find yourself in a survival situation there is no planning so its what you have on your person
that counts. The enviroment your in dictates to some extent your needs but your most immediate 3 needs are going to be water, shelter and fire,
anytype of weapon be it gun or bow is ranked at the bottom of the list by survival experts. Food is actually fairly low on the list also, insects are easier to catch
and contain lots of protein. Part of surviving is conserving energy so spending all day tromping around trying to hunt and make a kill is a net loss of energy.

1. At least 2 sources of fire, better with 3
2. Space blanket or at least a big trash bag for shelter
3. Good knife
4. Cord 50'
5. Fishing hooks and line if in an area with fish.
6. Compass
7. A few candy bars or high energy bars
8. Most importantly Your "Wits" stay calm. Find a good spot to set up and remain there and wait for rescue.

All this will fit in a pocket or two and can make the difference, after all most people that get lost in the US are found within a day or two.
The antics of Les and the other guy on TV are really stupid and will most likely get you hurt or sick, either of them happen and yer in real trouble.

D. Tiller:
Now lets say it's an unplanned for survival sittuation. What would be the things you always carry with you that would help you survive!

I always have a pocket knife and my shoe laces!

huntertrapper:
yeah shoelaces are great!

cracker:
I keep tools in my truck.1. Light Ax
                                  2.Duct Tape
                                  3.My .22 and lots of ammo.
                                  4.A torch striker and alcohol pads from first aid kit to make fire.All the steel workers out there will know what
                                     striker is.Plus at least one other means of fire making.
                                  5.A bunch of parechute cord.
                                  6.Drinking water and or filter
                                  7.A tarp
                                  8.A large screwdriver for breaking into whatever you might find.
                                  9.Some keep warm stuff. Blankets sleeping bag etc..
                                 10.Some one elses wife.Mine really gets on my nerves.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version