Author Topic: Random ?  (Read 3078 times)

kdub

Random ?
« on: February 24, 2009, 11:49:22 pm »
 Would yall advocate the thought of atlatl hunting ever being allowed for game animals, ie whitetails , where you live, either during the archery only season, or during the general season?  I was reading over a debate about crossbows on another forum and people were arguing that they are to much like a rifle...bla bla bla, so it got me thinkin what if the scenario went in the opposite direction and got more primitive?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Random ?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 12:10:17 am »
I believe that there are states that allow atlatl hunting for big game(deer at least). I have no problem with an atlatl being allowed as a hunting weapon...but I don't know if the hunting public in general is responsible enough to use them effectively.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

kdub

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 12:34:57 am »
I don't think that the public in gneral would want to.  Its to hard and peple like things easy today.  I think it would be cool to be able to hunt deer with an atlatl, or a spear even.  I also can see how placed in the wrong hands, such a weapon could cause alot of suffering, but then again so can a 270.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 02:26:55 pm »
I'd love to try deer or hog hunting with an atlatl. They are effective weapons in the right hands. I think Alabama is the only state that allows general big game hunting with them now.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

kdub

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 03:27:49 pm »
here in TX you could use an atlatl on hogs, you can kill hogs however you want.

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 03:55:41 pm »
If it ever got passed in NC, I would be out there with mine.  Atlatl, spear, butcher knife, I would hunt with any of them if it were legal.

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 08:01:49 pm »
I would be all for it :D ;D I have an opinion on such things.. ;D ;) If someone is going to attempt the hunt with any primitive weapon they have usually already hunted extensively and are only exploring different and more challenging ways to make a harvest.. This eliminates the weekend warrior types who would usually be out there for no other reason than to get in more hunting time, no matter their expertise or skill level with the equipment used. :( This is the case all to often with many crossbow and compound hunters... they are not proficient to begin with, then go out and try for a kill... (because it is easier).. >:(.... With primitive weapons there are few who would even consider the prospects of a hunt, given the preparation, expertise, and time needed to even get a chance at a harvest.. So in my opinion, not allowing primitive weapons, like STONE POINTS.... here in Wyoming.... is nothing more than ignorance on the part of the lawmakers... they still believe that hunting with primitive tools is fruitless and not worth the effort... Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 09:49:23 pm »
Rather than dealing with clueless lawmakers.  I would just hunt with it as long as I was sure I could humanly kill the intended animal.  However, I would take it out when I was least likely to see anybody else. ;)
Traverse City, MI