Author Topic: friendship bow circle  (Read 321600 times)

Offline armymedic.2

Re: friendship bow circle
« Reply #720 on: January 17, 2009, 01:26:23 pm »
wow, just read the entire post, please finish these bows or at least put up some pictures of where they are at!!!!! ;D ;D ;D
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #721 on: January 17, 2009, 02:00:18 pm »
Keith, good thing we are all friends. This kind of apathy can really put a strain on a friendship. ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #722 on: January 17, 2009, 05:23:41 pm »
i know!!! its stressing me out and i don't even have a piece of wood involved :}  sure seems like you guys are having fun though, and i personally enjoyed watching bowyers i have an awful lot of respect for troubleshoot and ,cough cough, break a couple of bows :}  good to know im not alone when i scratch my head and say things like, "it shouldn't have done that" lol

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #723 on: January 17, 2009, 06:24:13 pm »
Keith, where we went wrong was we decided we didn't want anyone to feel rushed so we didn't put a time frame on anything. We didn't even get in a hurry to start.
Well we succeeded.  Nobody will feel rushed around here.  ;D
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #724 on: January 18, 2009, 04:07:11 am »
The way it should be  :D

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #725 on: January 19, 2009, 06:35:22 am »
That is for sure,and it ant like that is the only piece of wood or bow we have. I counted the other day and I think I have somewhere around 30 that either has been or ready to hunt and shoot.So
I truly ant in no hurry. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #726 on: January 19, 2009, 08:35:58 am »
wow, 30 bows, ahh one day i too will have that many, if i can quit givin em to people.  i already got a few that aren't even staves yet that i got to give away.  ohhh well ;D

got to say the one thing tht does blow me away is when i hear poeple say, "tillered this one last night"  that part takes me the most time. sometimes up to a month of couple nights a week.   i guess more experience will help there, but just reducing the wood takes me forever to scrape.  glad this isn;t a race!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #727 on: January 19, 2009, 08:51:43 am »
I give a lot away also but decided a few years back when it got close to hunting season
and I didn't have a good bow to hunt with that I wasn't going to give them all away,so I keep a few each year and hunt with them and if I really like them I keep them for later use.It takes
me a bout a week usually to tiller a bow.I will do it in 3 or4 sessions over a week or so.I guess I could do it quicker but when I get to that point I ant in any big hurry and I like to let them rest in between.They seem to take less set, at least for me doing them that way. :) I try and never
give one away before it is made,Don't need no added pressure,this is relaxing to me and I want to keep it that way. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #728 on: January 19, 2009, 09:37:03 am »
  I'm like Pappy when it comes to a bunch of bows. I have over 30 also. but a lot of them are Glass Bears and Pierson's. I have 8 or 9 wooden ones right now, just gave away 2 last week and 1 a month ago. I also have one I've been tillering for 4 months, guess I'm not in a hurry either.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #729 on: January 20, 2009, 09:01:21 am »
well, including my glass bows i guess i have about 8 or so, but that still ain;t no thirty  ;D

There is no pressure in the bows i have given away that aren't started yet, cause the people they are going to have no idea.  just seemed to me like they deserved a real bow, and when i get home i aim to make em one :}

my dad knows about his, cause he had a young buck rubbing a tree that he shot with his pistol this year.  he marked the tree and saved the antler, so there is my bow and tip overlays right there!  that will be neat.  no pressure though since i made him one before i left.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #730 on: January 20, 2009, 11:14:45 am »
You have probably said but where are you at,armymedis2 ?
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #731 on: January 20, 2009, 06:23:59 pm »
im in baghdad at the moment pappy.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #732 on: January 21, 2009, 05:52:36 am »
Be careful and Thanks for you service. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #733 on: January 21, 2009, 04:38:39 pm »
Thanks for showing how to build bows  ;)

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #734 on: May 06, 2009, 01:58:00 am »
Haha, I just made it through this whole post after about an hour and it sounds like you guys have had a lot of fun just doing this whole thing. I don't want to sound forward but I feel like I kind of know you guys a bit just from reading through your posts and I hope that through all the trials over the past two years you find this message in a good place in your lives. I don't know if you ever finished off the bows, but if you did do you have pics up anywhere? Even if you didn't finish them off I think this was a great experiment.

Anyone who is interested in doing this I would really like to try it (I haven't made very many bows, but I am sure I can break them as good as Justin did :P, just teasing you man). Even if the group is on a smaller scale, say 4-6 people in a circle, so that the pass off is a little less confusing? I think a list would definitely be a good idea of things you could or should do, since there are certain things that need to be done first and last. It must have been sort of hard to come up with a list for you guys because you sort of have to adapt the way your making a bow according to how the wood is talking to you though. Anyway just my thoughts and thanks for posting this it was a really good read and I had fun going through all the back and forth conversations.

"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero