Author Topic: friendship bow circle  (Read 321170 times)

Offline Agbowyer

Re: friendship bow circle
« Reply #300 on: March 12, 2007, 10:58:22 pm »
Pat, I got your package. I sure hope your right. I never seen it done before.....

Offline Keenan

« Reply #301 on: March 13, 2007, 12:59:45 am »
 I got Pappy's bow today. Looking real fine. Chris did a real good job on the tiller. He said it's a real fast shooter. I would think so It took everything I had just to string it. Feels fairly heavy but thats ok and gives a little room for the final tiller and sand in. Should be a dandy bow Pappy.   Keenan

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #302 on: March 13, 2007, 01:29:09 am »
Pappy, either way will be fine with me. Unless the sinew can be really well sealed, our summer time humidity will have it back down in weight in no time. I guess I should have picked a better stave for myself but that's what I got.
  Steve, I've got Keenan's bow packed up and it will go out tomorrow. Keenan, I hope you weren't too attached to the cardboard tube your bow came in. I got some thin walled PVC to ship it in. Less weight, less bulky and now you have a travel case for your bow.
   Chris, When you get the bow, we will go over what I was thinking.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Agbowyer

« Reply #303 on: March 13, 2007, 01:49:44 am »
Sounds good Pat. I may need a little coaching. I love learning new things.... Chris

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #304 on: March 13, 2007, 01:52:10 am »
Yea, Me too! ;D   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #305 on: March 13, 2007, 05:54:53 am »
Pat I was thinking last night[scary right]I have a nice piece of Hickory backing I bought several years back and put up and haven't used ,would that work on a bend in the handle bow it is a little over
1/8 thick.I thought about gluing it up and then rawhide backing it,don't mind doing it at all if yall think it will work and pick it up enough to save it.It was 25@21 and is 60 in n-n.If I backed it I cut cut it down a little also.Let me know what yall think.Also dose V Maple work wit heat good
the Stave of Hillbilly's needs a little work.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #306 on: March 13, 2007, 06:46:36 am »
Here are a few pictures of Pat's bow and Hillbilly's.Pats is the one on the left.There are some of my lay out on Hillbilly's and the twist in the limb,see what yall think and will it come out with heat.Never worked with V Maple so someone chime in. :)
   Pappy

[attachment deleted by admin]
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #307 on: March 13, 2007, 06:48:00 am »
A couple more.
   Pappy

[attachment deleted by admin]
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #308 on: March 13, 2007, 06:50:02 am »
The handle area is flat on the ground in the last pic. so you can see the twist,not quite 90 but almost.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #309 on: March 13, 2007, 10:08:28 am »
Pappy, A hickory backing would be fine with me but I hate for you to have to use your backing strip. Is the back flat enough to back it with wood?   
   Sorry but I can't help with the VM. I've never worked with it.   Pat

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #310 on: March 13, 2007, 10:25:10 am »
I think it is Pat, and I don't mind at all using it.I have had it 6/7 years and haven't used it yet.It has been kept in a nice dry place so it should be fine.Do I need to thin it down a little or will that be OK.I haven't measured it but I think it is a little over 1/8.It was sold to me to put directly on a back but you know how that goes.Is TB3 OK for gluing or do I need something else.I have resorsnall
[bad spelling I know ]but yall know what I mean.As you can tell I haven't done much backing but would love to give it a try,with a little help. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #311 on: March 13, 2007, 11:28:41 am »
Pappy, TBIII glue will be fine. It works very well on whitewoods. Does your backing strip have tool marks in it. You will have to remove them and smooth up the glueing surface. I usually cut backing strips to 3/16" then reduce to about 1/8" removing the saw marks. Once it is glued down, you can reduce it more from the back, by sanding or scraping, if it seems like it is too strong for the belly. I have never backed a white oak bow with hickory...or any other wood backing for that matter.
   You will probably have to support the backing strip well so it doesn't cup when the moisture from the glue sinks in. A full length pressure strip under the clamps(and over the backing strip) will do the trick. Pat

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #312 on: March 13, 2007, 11:32:41 am »
Yeah, the back on Pat's is nice'n'flat- should be pretty easy to stick a backing on there. Pappy, I didn't realize that VM stave had that much twist in it. Hard to tell 'til you get it roughed out I guess. Seems like Milo told me once that VM responded well to heat.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #313 on: March 13, 2007, 11:44:22 am »
Thanks to both of yall,I'll get started.I was almost sure heat would work.And I will clamp it down
with a board or something to support it Pat.I'll let you know how it is going in a few days.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #314 on: March 13, 2007, 12:01:04 pm »
I have got to get back to work on Keenans. I got it deflexed, but I'm letting some of the moisture leave before I use dry heat to relfex and try to get out some of the twist.  You are just going to have to be patient Pat.   ;D Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah