Author Topic: friendship bow circle  (Read 321141 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: friendship bow circle
« Reply #255 on: March 06, 2007, 09:25:56 pm »
  Holy crap! you must live in a desert.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Keenan

« Reply #256 on: March 06, 2007, 11:52:22 pm »
  Hey Justin, I know it's short but good tight rings and slight deflex will help as well. It's almost the same as the yew ambush bow that I made a year ago. It's by far my fastest and most acurate and shooter. I layed out for a slight bend through the handle design to help.
  Also Chris said he liked shorter bows and can short draw if nessesary. My 58 D/R yew has been shot at 27" by several freinds and has stood the test well.
  Just do your best and if she won't take it I'll shoot you a longer one in the mail pronto. Remember this is for fun and to push us outside of our comfort zone a little to learn different woods and techniques.
  Here is a profile of the one that I made like it.  With this profile the limbs move very little to be braced (easier bracing) but they are stout enough limbs to give early draw weight without alot of excess stress.Also at that point the limb has not flexed very much at braced. This was a theroy that I tryed to circumvent the long periods of being braced and it worked and really is one of the best bows I've made. It can stay braced all day and lose almost nothing in poundage.
  I read all the stuff about preloading the limb and inducing reflex to gain early draw weight and I know this to hold true. However it can also be done with stouter short limbs if you keep the mass down and give an R/D design.  I know there are some that are going to balk at my thoughts and statements. But I have the working proof. It's now my favorite bow.
   Here is a pic of the profile. Also feel free to shoot me any questions if you need some help. I think you can pull it off.   Keenan

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #257 on: March 07, 2007, 12:38:41 am »
Thanks Keenan,  that is the kind of info I was looking for.  I know it can be done, and I think I can manage it.  I like to do things like this to myself when I can only break my own.  I just wanted to get a little input so that this one works out good, not just trial and error.  I still think ELB when I think yew, so I guess you just needed to tell me it was OK to build a R/D flatbow. ;D  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Keenan

« Reply #258 on: March 07, 2007, 01:40:59 am »
 Justin, go for about 1 5/8 - 1 3/4  at the fades and about 1 1/2 at mid limb, tapering from there to narrow tips.
 Slight crowned  top ( like it is) and alost flat belly (Just slight curve)  I'll try to do a cut cross cut profile for you tomarrow. 
  Also be sure to excercise alot when you first start bending it. A little at a time.  I blew up a nice yew stave once because I got in a hurry and didn't work the limbs very much.  Keenan

Offline Agbowyer

« Reply #259 on: March 07, 2007, 01:56:24 pm »
Don't worry Justin. if it doesn't work out, keenan can just send me the bow in the picture ;D Here's some pics of pappys bow as it came from Brian.

Offline Agbowyer

« Reply #260 on: March 07, 2007, 02:01:50 pm »
Now here' a couple from last night. It has lost most of the reflex. Its 64" tip to tip and pulls 56# at 25 1/2". Keenan he wants 55# at 26". This should allow for a little drop from final sanding. I also left the tips just a hair over 26 for some leeway for whoever does overlays. They should be thinned some more at that point.... Chris

Offline Agbowyer

« Reply #261 on: March 07, 2007, 02:03:35 pm »
Lastly here's a pic from my scouting trip Sunday afternoon..

Offline Keenan

« Reply #262 on: March 07, 2007, 03:28:30 pm »
 Wow Chris, now thats a HOG !!  But I think that was a huntin trip not a scouting trip.. The bow looks good thanks for the info.  Congratulations on a fine hog. Nice bow as well.  Keenan

Offline Agbowyer

« Reply #263 on: March 07, 2007, 04:07:54 pm »
I was scouting...I just happened to have my bow with me, and I wanted a closer look ;)

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #264 on: March 07, 2007, 04:50:50 pm »
Ok! I thought you said the ones under 150 lbs tasted the best?  ???

Look at the tusks on that thing!  :o
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #265 on: March 07, 2007, 05:07:10 pm »
Lookin good Chris. That knot at the fade give ya any trouble on Pappys bow?

Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Agbowyer

« Reply #266 on: March 07, 2007, 06:26:04 pm »
Brian, I got that area bending, but I'm still not completely happy with it. I look one time and it looks fine. The next it looks stiff. I'm going to put some arrows through it to see how it does. Then I'll send it on to Keenan. Keenan you'll have to work on the handle. Its different than what I'm used to so I just worked down some, but I didn't know how far to go with it.

Dtiller, they do taste better under 150. The big ones taste okay, you just chew longer. 40 to 60# melt in your mouth.

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #267 on: March 07, 2007, 06:40:59 pm »
God, Chris the belly laughs you cause are starting to hurt!  ;D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Little John

« Reply #268 on: March 07, 2007, 10:46:16 pm »
Wow Chris what an awsome harvest. Man oh Man, I cant nget over the size of that hog. What a scouting trip, just can;t say enough. Congratulations. Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Little John

« Reply #269 on: March 07, 2007, 10:58:57 pm »
Wow Pat, really nice job on that yew, really graceful bending wood.   Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell