Author Topic: friendship bow circle  (Read 321144 times)

Offline Agbowyer

Re: friendship bow circle
« Reply #240 on: March 05, 2007, 12:48:15 am »
Pat that's lookin good. Mullet, Those are Rios.  I hope to hunt Meriam's some day. The one on the left was my oldest boys first turkey 11 1/2" beard. After he shot it he called the other one in for me (Only 9 1/2"). which was my first bow turkey. GREAT weekend. Keenan, I worked on Pappy's bow today should probably get it tillered tomorrow. Its floor tillered, but needs more bend near the handle.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 12:54:20 am by Agbowyer »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #241 on: March 05, 2007, 12:48:30 am »
The limb with the hole in it was a bear to bend. It is still a bit too thick in some places but I don't want to loose any more weight. I may pike each limb tip about 1". At your short draw length 63 1/2" t/t shouldn't be too short. That will be about 61 1/2" n/n. I left the tips thick and have reduced the width. I'll let whoever is doing the overlays for the tips do the final shaping. Same with the handle.   
   I shot her about 25 or 30 times this afternoon and left her braced for a couple of hours afterwards. She has taken a little set but not much. She shoots nice with a little thump. When the tips are reduced it should smooth out nicely. I guess she goes to Steve Parker now.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #242 on: March 05, 2007, 12:50:02 am »
...Oh, and I did remove the violated ring on the back except for a few islands that shouldn't effect anything.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Keenan

« Reply #243 on: March 05, 2007, 11:01:36 am »
  Sounds Great Pat. Most my bows are short.  Between 58-62 inchers usually.   
 Chris sounds great let me know when you send it out.   Keenan

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #244 on: March 05, 2007, 08:44:14 pm »
Pappy,I've been roughing in Hillbilly's bow this afternoon.I've got it laid out trieing to follow around the knots.The lower limb has a pretty good twist.I'll try to boil it out tomorrow when I get home from work.Or since you are tillering it do you want to?I don't want to take too much wood off to thin the limb and not leave you enough to play with the knots.I have the handle lined up ,that with the twist and I know Steve is left handed,that the string will fall right at the edge of the handle.I'm going to hang onto Pat's and not double up on you.I want to work on the tiller a little more.I have never used oak except for cooking. ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Agbowyer

« Reply #245 on: March 06, 2007, 12:53:39 am »
Keenan, it'll be another day or two before I send out Pappy's bow. I have it tillered to neat weight, but there's a stubborn spot near the fade on one limb. It lost a lot of the reflex, but still has about an inch. That snakey stave I was working on for you probably has too many issues. It will make a bow, but with a tremendous amount of work. I'll walk the creek tomorrow if I can to see what I can find.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #246 on: March 06, 2007, 12:57:10 am »
Sounds good Chris, thanks  Keenan

Offline Agbowyer

« Reply #247 on: March 06, 2007, 01:15:07 am »
I almost forgot. I made the string for Pappy's bow, and in true Aggie fashion I put the serving on upside down. Long day :D On the bright side, I did shoot a huge hog yesterday. I'll post a pic later. That thing was longer than I am tall.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 01:25:45 am by Agbowyer »

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #248 on: March 06, 2007, 06:02:49 am »
Mullet I have never worked with oak either except for cooking also ,but if you like send it on.Do you have weight and length he wants.Also dose anyone know if heat works on oak,I can steam it or boil if I need to but except on Osage I don't steam much and then only on the first attempt to straighten.Someone that works on oak a lot chime in here. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #249 on: March 06, 2007, 08:49:46 am »
Eddie- I'm right handed, you must have me confused with one of the other crazy Parkers lol. Pappy, my draw length is 26"-27", weight whatever you can get out of it. I usually shoot for 50-60 lbs. on most of mine, a few pounds up or down is no problem. Pat draws 26", too I believe.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #250 on: March 06, 2007, 09:38:36 am »
OK Hillbilly I will remember that.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #251 on: March 06, 2007, 09:59:57 am »
Yep! I draw 26" and prefer weight aroung 50#-55# but I'm not picky.   
Pappy, I think oak would react to heat but I've never had to heat oato streighten it. Pat

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #252 on: March 06, 2007, 10:27:21 am »
Thanks Pat,I will see what it looks like when I get it,and if I need some help I'll holler.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #253 on: March 06, 2007, 07:58:04 pm »
  Steve,sorry about that.I meant the string would fall on the left side of the handle.Pat glad you're not picky.With the narrow width it didn't leave much to work with.I've already bent the tips.Boiling didn't work to good ,but heat gun and Crisco did.That's got it in the high 40's but it doesn't like this humidity.If it was mine I'd back it.Maybe a job for somebody down the line or a good stay in a heat box might help.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #254 on: March 06, 2007, 08:29:28 pm »
Keenan, I got Chris's stave today.  Ill do my best, but I'm open to ideas.  50-55#@ 27-28"  58" end to end.  I'm used to making higher weight bows, but I usually have 62" or more to work with.

Mullet, When the bow gets to me no hot box will be necessary. It was 75* today and relative humidity of 14%.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah