Author Topic: friendship bow circle  (Read 321132 times)

Offline Agbowyer

Re: friendship bow circle
« Reply #210 on: February 28, 2007, 08:45:40 pm »
Keenan, I like both of those a lot better than mine. I guess I don't have that much imagination, or not enough time to really put some thought into it. You could use one of those.

Brian, do you want me to use one of those for you too?

Offline Keenan

« Reply #211 on: February 28, 2007, 09:20:09 pm »
 Chris, I already printed out the one you emailed and it went out today, I thought what you sent looked fine and I printed it on cardstock so it will hold up better.

Justin, heads up Chris's bow is on the way.    Keenan

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #212 on: February 28, 2007, 09:46:52 pm »
I got Keenan's bow today(and a mulberry stave from Justin). This is gonna be fun! She's a yew flat bow stave with a Texas peep site in the top limb(I guess that'll be the top limb).
   I'll have to fill out Justin's and my Birth Certificate and send them on to Hillbilly.  Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Keenan

« Reply #213 on: March 01, 2007, 11:49:46 am »
 Texas peep !!!  I like that Pat. I'm heading to Texas towards the end of this month for My parents 50th wedding aniversary. Maybe some of them Texans can show me how to use one,,,,lol   I'll be about 3-4 hurs south of where OJAM is being held on the same weekend.  My wife caught me looking at the map and informed me that if if I runnoff and don't visit realitives for the few days that we are there I will be disowned. She is probably right.  Besides it would be hard to bring home the bows and staves on the plane. LOL
  So I guess my bubble has burst.  Keenan

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #214 on: March 01, 2007, 01:03:50 pm »
I made a copy of the birth certificate and I will send it to Koan.I sent a note with mine but the
certificate is much better.Thanks Justin.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #215 on: March 01, 2007, 06:19:04 pm »
Pappy, havent had time to work on Mullits stave yet, I'll let ya know. Chris I didnt even think about the birth cert., got confused with comm. bow I think. I really like what you guys came up with. Havent had much free time lately, and now my radiator went out on my truck, fun, fun. I got to fix that this weekend before I get to play with bows.

Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Agbowyer

« Reply #216 on: March 01, 2007, 07:18:29 pm »
Brian, you sent me one on card stock which I think is fine. I just didn't know if you wanted one of thos others or not. Hey, Wanna buy a truck :D

Offline Agbowyer

« Reply #217 on: March 02, 2007, 01:57:54 am »
Keenan, I'm sending Brian's stave tomorrow. I'll post some pics from work. I'm also sending some deer rawhide. The rings are quite thin, and I think it may need backing, If you don't think it needs it, your welcome to the rawhide

Offline Keenan

« Reply #218 on: March 02, 2007, 10:42:40 am »
  Thanks Chris, I'll be watching for it.  Keenan

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #219 on: March 02, 2007, 11:10:56 am »
I did a little work on Keenan's yew stave yesterday. Justin had kicked the tips up a bit so I put her on one of my forms, added a little olive oil(see it on the tips) and heat to get the tips a bit more pronounced. I have the bow bending about 4" now. The knot(peep site) in the top limb gave me a little truoble but I think I have it coming along nicely now. Lucy Brown is standing guard as I take the last pic of the full bow.   Pat

[attachment deleted by admin]
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Keenan

« Reply #220 on: March 02, 2007, 12:06:12 pm »
  Wow Pat that is looking nice. I'm drooling allready. It's neat to see the progression of the bow.Can't wait to get some more of your guy's staves to play with.
  Chris's stave is similar to that yew of mine, but is shorter. I think it's going to have to be more of a bend through the handle bow, It's a tight grained 58 inch yew stave with some neat little character bumps and a slight deflex. So I reflexed the limbs slightly. I roughed it our fairly wide for more of a west coast style bow if thats the way others deside to take it.Ther is a slight twist in the limbs that I thought about correcting but I figured I better stop and not go to far for the first stage so others could play with it as well.   Keenan

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #221 on: March 02, 2007, 12:07:52 pm »
Actually Pat, the tips were like that when I got it.  All I did was whittle away a little extra wood and the saw marks from Keenan cutting it out.  I tried to get her bending a little, then sent her along.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #222 on: March 02, 2007, 12:55:17 pm »
Justin, She was bending a bit when I got her. Now shes bending about 4".
Now a question for both of you. The back grain is violated. Is it OK or should I remove that ring? I can also back with rawhide if needed.
Keenan, That looks like a nice candidate. I'm loving working with this yew. Except for being softer than I'm used to, it is great bow wood.     Pat

Offline Keenan

« Reply #223 on: March 02, 2007, 01:09:28 pm »
  Your call Pat, Yew will stand some violation if it's not to severe and depending where it is. The rings are generally so thin that is can sometimes be impossible to stay perfect. If it's not real bad in a critical area I would think it would be fine.
  If you feel like backing her, My feelings would be go for it. With the yew just be sure to excercise alot when she first starts bending, and remember the dust can be lethal so watch the sanding.      Keenan

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #224 on: March 02, 2007, 01:15:25 pm »
Thanks Keenan. I've been exercising as I go. I have learned that this makes a differance with any bow wood.   I will study the ring violations but will probably back with rawhide.    Later,  Pat