Author Topic: Hector cole heads have arrived with a slight problem.  (Read 12402 times)

youngbowyer

Hector cole heads have arrived with a slight problem.
« on: February 23, 2009, 05:08:33 pm »
Hi,

Today the heads from hector cole have arrived but the sockets are quite shallow. The type 13 even fits one of my 5/16 shafts! Is this supposed to be like that? Here is a pic of the type 13 on a 5/16 shafts(i didnt glue it on)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Lloyd

Re: Hector cole heads have arrived with a slight problem.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 06:46:07 pm »
these are usually mounted flush to the exterior of the shaft. What's the exterior diameter of the socket at the base?

youngbowyer

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 09:34:57 pm »
I'll give you the measurements tomorrow.

triton

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 01:17:36 pm »
There's a few blacksmiths you can rely on to make arrow heads as exact as possible to surviving artefacts. Hector is one of them.  In some periods, barelled shafts were used, so the socket will reflect that. Lloyd is correct, in saying the shaft comes flush with the OD of the socket.  I use a pencil to guage the depth of the socket, then mark the shaft to that depth.  A small pipe cutter from a hadware shop is useful for cutting the shoulder on the shaft.  don't cut too deep as that will be where the shaft breaks.

youngbowyer

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 05:01:05 pm »
thanks Triton! Hector cole snet me an email back too sayng the same thing that you did. Is it possible to cut the shoullder with just a very sharp knife?

Lloyd

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 07:37:22 pm »
yes, you can cut the shoulder with a sharp knife but in my experience it's hit or miss and sometimes quite literally bloody too. I use my arrow saw to cut several grooves in the shaft starting where the shoulder will be and moving towards the tip. I make the cut as deep as the interior diameter of the socket. Then you can use those grooves as a guide for sanding or rasping or whatever your preferred method of shaping the point taper on the shaft. It takes a while but I've found it to be the most reliable method for me.

kerbinator

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 10:22:47 pm »
Ya know I hope you don't mind, Youngbowyer my posting on this thread.  But here is a question for any passer buy. In war times when these various types of point where used. How did they attach the points to the arrows?...... Was it with epoxy or did they merely just drive them on?

Offline Purbeck

• English Warbow Archer
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 07:41:45 am »

There was no epoxy glue so they must have used the glues of the time. I seem to rember reading that medieval glues were not up to much! I have also seen somewhere that some of the hunting heads of that period were pinned to the shaft through the socket. This was probably in addition to the use of glue?

Purbeck

youngbowyer

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 09:00:27 am »
Ya know I hope you don't mind, Youngbowyer my posting on this thread.  But here is a question for any passer buy. In war times when these various types of point where used. How did they attach the points to the arrows?...... Was it with epoxy or did they merely just drive them on?

In war times they used beeswax so if u tried to pull the arrow out the head would stay in spreading infections. Hunters would use bluebell sap and they might have pinned it to the shaft. Although some people think a pinned shaft was used with a fire arrows to keep the glue from melting.

Hope this helps,cheers,

Tom.

Rod

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 07:49:09 am »
It is probably worth discussing the type and size of shaft with Hector when ordering so that he can make an appropriate socket size.

Last time I spoke with Chris Boyton he mentioned that there was some evidence showing that the same mix that was used to coat the shaftment might have been used to fix heads.

Given the copper content of this mix it might have been unhealthy to be wounded even with a sterile point, before we even consider the fact that points werre not sterile and that shafts might have been stuck in the ground.
With the prevalence of dysentery on campaign and the use of night soil and animal manure in agriculture then the risk of infection seems great.

Rod.

triton

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 08:01:26 am »
given the materials of the time, I would say it's perfectly reasonable to use the same glue to fix the heads as used for the fletching.

youngbowyer

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 09:07:01 am »
It is probably worth discussing the type and size of shaft with Hector when ordering so that he can make an appropriate socket size.

Last time I spoke with Chris Boyton he mentioned that there was some evidence showing that the same mix that was used to coat the shaftment might have been used to fix heads.

Given the copper content of this mix it might have been unhealthy to be wounded even with a sterile point, before we even consider the fact that points werre not sterile and that shafts might have been stuck in the ground.
With the prevalence of dysentery on campaign and the use of night soil and animal manure in agriculture then the risk of infection seems great.

Rod.

There have been lots of documents saying that archers stuck their arrows in the ground making the risk of infection far greater.

Lloyd

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 04:25:52 pm »
The beeswax for arrow heads story keeps coming around but I've never seen any documentation. If anyone has documentation for using beeswax to affix heads please let me know where it is.

triton

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 04:35:39 pm »
I think comes from an idea in connection with why arrows found are of different lengths, ranging from 28"-32".  so different types/length of head can be fitted.
Personally I think it's also connected to the myth that arrows were a one-shot item.

youngbowyer

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2009, 04:45:19 pm »
The beeswax for arrow heads story keeps coming around but I've never seen any documentation. If anyone has documentation for using beeswax to affix heads please let me know where it is.

Another theory was that they used bluebell sap.