Author Topic: another sealing question  (Read 2841 times)

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
another sealing question
« on: February 19, 2009, 05:40:12 pm »
I see many questions about sealing bows to keep out moisture, and everyone says that no finish will keep out all moisture, Is this definately true? I always put about 6 coats of polyurethane varnish on my bows, and this results in quite a thck layer of varnish. I dont know because I've never retested the moisture content because I dont want to put holes in the bow. But I would have thought this would have permanently sealed things, its like a plastic coating. Wales must be one of the dampest places on Earth (unfortunately) so if this doesnt seal out moisture I'm getting worried.  What is others experience on this matter? I would  be very interested to hear, thanks
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: another sealing question
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 10:15:11 am »
It will keep water out of the wood, and will greatly slow down moisture transfer. It will keep it dry enough for your purposes, obviously people have been shooting wooden bows in your neck of the woods for a long time. But no finish is absolutely 100% moisture proof-if you left your bow laying ouside in the yard for a couple weeks, it would definitely pick up some moisture.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 03:59:35 pm »
thanks Hillbilly I'm sure you;re right, everyone is saying this ,it appears. I think I'm going to add a few coats of carnuba wax over the varnish, as an extrea precaution  I've heard tales of using epoxy as as a sealant does  anyone out there have experience of this ?
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 04:17:54 pm »
I have used Massey finish on bows. That is 2ton epoxy thinned with acetone and applied. On one bow I built, a sinew backed hickory with rawhide covering the sinew I wanted to make it as moisture proof as possible because the hickory, sinew and glue and the rawhide will readily absorb moisture. I used hand rubbed linseed oil first, then the Massey finish, then Tru-Oil and finally a spray of satin poly. As the R/H changes, so does that bow. I have seen it, and another sinew backed osage, change 10# to 20# or possibly more because of the lack of or increased amount of moisture in the atmosphere.
   You will never eliminate the transfer of moisture but like Hillbilly said you can slow it way down. It doesn't happen over night either. It takes as long to absorb moisture as it does to release it. Keep your bows stored in a hot box or in a house with heat/ac and you will be fine. When you go out in foul weather, wipe your bow with wax and when you get back in wipe it with a dry rag first then wax.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 06:05:20 pm »
Thanks Pat for that info. I've been under the impression my bows where totally sealed , but obviously they aren't. Something for me to think about. The house I live in is over 300 yrs old stone built on the ground no damp course or even foundation, dampness is a problem around here.  I'm gonnaput my bows in the heat box every month to keep out the moisture, that should solve the problem.

What was the epoxy finish like?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 08:19:04 pm »
The epoxy finish is hard and glossy but it is difficult to put on big items. You can only do one wipe at a time with a saturated rag, wait for it to dry and do another. If you try to correct a smug you have screwed up. On small items like knife handles, arrows or to saturate cord handle wraps.
I have heard of folks that will squirt a syringe full of the 2 part epoxy into a baby food jar, mix it well and dilute with the solvent. I used acetone. It will last a week or so sealed in the jar. For a bow, that would be the way to go. I usually only use a small amount at a time so I mix it as I need it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline David Long

• Only dead fish swim with the stream.
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 08:03:06 pm »
I am a big fan of melted paraffin as per Dean Torges method of melting the stuff in. If you look at real data for water absorption as a function of RH, you'll see this is one of the best. Presumably it has to do with the fact that pores from solvent evaporation do not form when the finish "dries" but I am not sure about this. In any case it is easy to put on and repair. Low tech, cheap, and effective. I like it. Dave
NW Montana

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 03:34:44 pm »
I'm not sure , what is melted parrafin and how do you make it??? I'll give it a try

Offline David Long

• Only dead fish swim with the stream.
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 05:10:48 pm »
Paraffin is just wax-I buy the stuff at the grocery store for canning. Rub it in the bow and use a heat gun to melt in. Coat several times if you like. Wipe clean if it appears ugly to you. Put more on when the occasion calls for better waterproofing. Dave
NW Montana