Author Topic: To Bend Or Not To Bend, That Is The Question ...  (Read 1611 times)

Offline Grizzzly

To Bend Or Not To Bend, That Is The Question ...
« on: March 08, 2009, 12:43:01 am »
Just wanted to get your opinions on straightening the limbs or twist out of a selfbow. The Bowyers Bible says if you don't mind the twists & bends, leave it alone. I for one don't mind the imperfect wood and would rather not heat or steam the wood to fix it. I believe that weakens the wood & would rather leave it in it's natural shape. What do you guys think about this and what ways do you straighten it if you do ? Thanks, John
NW  NJ

Offline DanaM

Re: To Bend Or Not To Bend, That Is The Question ...
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 06:51:08 am »
John, if the twist is mild no big deal, it will change the perspective when tillering so make sure and look at the bow from both sides.

If the tips line up with the handle your good to go :) You don't mention what kind of wood it is or whether its dry or green?

I generally coat the area to be straightened with cooking oil and use my heat gun.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: To Bend Or Not To Bend, That Is The Question ...
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 10:58:07 am »
If it's a mild twist, I don't usually worry about it. You can tiller part of it out as you go, too. If it's enough too be annoying, I clamp it down on a caul and heat the twist out-you can reflex, even up the limbs, temper the belly, and remove twist at the same time that way. One of the better shooting bows I ever made had a pretty good prop twist to it, so it doesn't hurt anything as long as it isn't really bad.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.