Author Topic: Yew alternative?  (Read 5518 times)

brian melton

Re: Yew alternative?
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2009, 04:37:03 pm »
Dragonman,

I have yet to see yew I can't put a fingernail into.....when you find some you can't, send it my way......As far as shoots they can make fine bows. If you cut a tree trunk it may have wide rings, but the very opposite may be true of limbs. Tree limbs will generally in my expirience have a lot tighter rings (infact) to someone that did not know yew that well, it will fool them as being "good" yew.

Native americans quite regularly used limb splits off of trees, they also used splits from the trunk.....but they did not kill the tree.

Brian

huntersim

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2009, 05:46:47 pm »
Ryan - thats good to hear. I have some on hand but Ive never used it for a bow....think I'll give it a try. It certainly seems springy and the color is close.

Bullitt - Sassafras....never considered it. Thanks for the idea. I may even be able to get my hands on some locally. Is the John McCullough bow all wood? I know he builds some beauties. I'm definitely  going to try one with walnut.

Dragonman and Brian - thanks. I certainly dont want to give up on the yew, its obviously proven. I've even had a few turn out with that configuration.

Thanks everyone for the ideas.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 05:53:01 pm by huntersim »

Offline Bullitt

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2009, 10:27:22 pm »
Matt, yes it is a bamboo backed,walnut cored, and some 40 something old osage i had  given him to build this bow. And yes, John is quite the craftsman! He had told me that a walnut board and and a hickory backing  can't hardly go wrong for most in performance and simplicity as an all wood bow.