Author Topic: Yew alternative?  (Read 5517 times)

huntersim

Yew alternative?
« on: February 21, 2009, 05:40:08 pm »
Hi everyone.

I have some crummy yew that I thought would work as a core pretty well. Guess i was wrong..... :-\ This is the second try that shows the yew coming apart, same configuration. Anyone have any ideas on an alternative? I was thinking maybe cherry. Anyone know how it would hold up to a lot of shear?

Matt

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
Re: Yew alternative?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 06:29:18 pm »
Matt that looks like hickory, yew, osage? Should be a good combo. From what I read the old Bear Deer slayers where made of that configuration and almost the same design as you have there with the static curves. Is that what you were shooting for? Not sure what happened....
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

huntersim

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 06:58:06 pm »
exactly what i was shooting for Ryan.

No doubt its a good combo, just not with the yew I have. Its just some really wide ringed light weight yew that really isnt very good for much but lighter weight bows. All it did was pull the yew apart. I have some cherry that I'm thinking of trying, just to see how it holds up to the same thing...unless someone has had similar results with it.  ??? At the very least, it will darken in a similar way.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 08:07:02 pm »
It kinda looks like a tension failure to me.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 08:28:37 pm »
What type of glue are you using? Could be de-laminating at the glue line.

Save the Yew and sinew back it. I've found the wide ringed yew works great when sinew backed as a short wide NW style bow.
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

huntersim

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 09:11:03 pm »
here's a few more photos for you guys to examine. I wont rule out anything but like I said...i had another give me some indication it was going to do the same thing before I set it to the side.

Anyway, I'm just curious about cherry or a good alternate thats easy to come by. I'm not going to try again with the yew I have. Thanks.

[attachment deleted by admin]

brian melton

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 10:36:02 pm »

Are you sure that is yew??? Doesn't look like it to me by color???? If you are sure it is, what means did you use to bend it??? Dry heat, or steam? If you got it as lumber, and applied dry heat thhis may be your problem. Yew does not like to be bone dry.... Also would like a front view of your hickory backing...

Brian

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 11:26:55 pm »
I'd say your hickory is bad. Were both failures with the same hickory?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Gordon

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 11:43:47 pm »
I've had good luck with black walnut as a core wood. And also bamboo flooring.
Gordon

huntersim

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 01:55:46 am »
Brian - yes Im sure its yew....the color in the photo is off. You may have hit on something though.....dry yew. Only the tips see any heat. But the slats were stored in my hot box while I was preping things.

Thanks Pat. To answer your question....no.

Gordon - Thank you. I've never built one with a core of black walnut. Its a little darker than I wanted but I may try it out.

Well, you all have a good weekend.
Matt

brian melton

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 12:39:59 pm »

Don't give up on the yew! It will work! If it was kiln dried let it sit out in your garage for a while to regain some moisture, then steam bend, or boil the bends, no dry heat. I think with proper MC, and good backing you will have success. Rings in yew have no effect as a belly wood except limb width. One VERY important thing to look for is wind shake sometimes very difficult to see......cracks vertically in the wood.

Brian

huntersim

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 01:14:11 pm »
Thanks Brian.....sent you a PM.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2009, 03:00:54 pm »
Matt, the Cherry will work fine for a core wood. My brother uses it all the time for his tri-lam bamboo backed and bellied bows. In fact cherry is one of his favorite core woods because its light and springy.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2009, 03:45:17 pm »
There are many grades of yew,  I have seen some pretty soft yew, and yes it did have wide growth rings, some of the trees round here send up straight shoots that grow much faster , heading for the light, they are straight and tempting to cut for bows, but the wood isn,t much good, like a different wood compared to the main trunk. you need better  quality yew it really varies (like all woods)
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Bullitt

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2009, 04:16:37 pm »
Black walnut is a good one I know because ihave on built by John Mcullough. Great bow! I would also try sassafras. Strong , light weight, and good tensile strength. Consider it Matt.