Author Topic: Checking selfbows ability?  (Read 4316 times)

Offline Bentstick81

Checking selfbows ability?
« on: February 21, 2009, 11:22:07 am »
  I heard about someone years ago talking about checking a bows ability, i guess is the word i'm thinking of, by shooting your bow in an open area, in the air, and stepping off distance to check the bows performance. Has anyone ever heard of this, or am i in lala land?  I took my hickory board bow out and did this, and stepped off 152 paces (yards). When i read about checking your bow out like this, everything was based on the 150 yd. and up theory was the goal. Can anyone verify this? Thanks for your time.

Online Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Checking selfbows ability?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 11:51:45 am »
I don't have an area that I can shoot for distance but it is a good method of checking a bows ability.     
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Little John

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 12:06:47 pm »
It is a very good primitive method that few seem to use. It is always the first thing I do with a new bow and later to see how thw bow is holding up. My better 64# bows have shot 212 long steps across a haw field with a 29" draw. This is not average distance but the longest shots without a wind to help out. I am always hopeing the next will do better.     Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline John K

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 12:09:10 pm »
I've done it, I use the Archery Golf course i go i play at to check distance. One hole is 350 yards, haven't made it that far yet  ::)
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline Bentstick81

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 12:17:06 pm »
  So is the minimum you need for deer hunting around the 150 paces mark? I was just curious. All my bows are ranging the 145 paces to 156 paces. I feel they will do the job, because i've limited my shots from 20 yards and in.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 12:20:57 pm »
The Bent Stick tests the bows in that manner. 150 is about average, and accaptable for hunting. Since I don't have a long open space, I check my point-on distance. I'm aiming for 60 yards, but most of my bows shoot about 50-55 yards point-on.

Offline John K

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 12:38:34 pm »
I'd check with the State you hunt in....most have a minimum draw weight, In Wisconsin, it's 30#'s
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline Bentstick81

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 01:12:01 pm »
  I know what the State minimum is, just was wondering if anyone had heard of this type of bow checking. Kegan, i like the idea of the point-on method. i will try it and see how my bows do. Thanks for the idea. Besides, its fun to watch the arrow in flight.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 07:44:23 pm »
You're absolutely right-shooting for distance can tell you much more than just checking draw weight. The thing that matters is how much energy is making it into the arrow, not how much energy it takes to pull it back. It's entirely possible for a well-made 45# bow to outshoot an ineffecient 60# bow. I think the 150 yard average for a 50 # bow is based on a 500 grain arrow (10 grains per lb of draw weight.) 
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline deersled

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 03:04:29 pm »
what type of angle are you holding the bow at?

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 03:43:02 pm »
about 45deg but that is something you might have to play with.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC