Author Topic: PLEASE HELP!!!  (Read 1605 times)

Offline chriss880

PLEASE HELP!!!
« on: February 20, 2009, 11:34:40 am »
i wanted to make a bow so i clipped off some yew from a bush i dind't no you needed dead so i tillered it and put string on it and it shoots like 80 feet and it works really good but i don't no when it dies if it's going to effect it's shooting?

Offline chriss880

Re: PLEASE HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 11:42:17 am »
someone please help!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 12:30:35 pm »
Chris, you can make a quicky bow with green wood but it is not going to be satisfactory in the long run. Your bow will get stronger as the wood dries and cures but is it tillered properly? Do a little research here in the build along section and through out the site. Ask questions of anything you don't understand about. Probably your best option would be to obtain a board of red oak, hickory or maple and make a simple board bow just to understand and learn the principles about wood bow building. It takes more than wood and tools to build wood bow. One of the most important thing is patience.
   Good luck in your venture and welcome to PA.        Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Keenan

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 01:23:30 pm »
As Pat said, Green wood will take set and be very sluggish. as the wood dries it will become stronger. But if you are flexing allot and putting the ood cells under heavy loads while they are green you will break down the wood.
  It's kind of like having a spaghetti noddle that is hard and stiff while dry but when saturated with water is limp. If you were to shape the noodle and let it dry  it will take form. The same with wood. However a good bow should have early draw wieght and having limbs slightly reflexed will do this.
  But no bow wood will have good cast wjile still green.  Hope that helps.   Keenan