Author Topic: I think I discovered something on my second self bow.  (Read 2456 times)

bearbowman

I think I discovered something on my second self bow.
« on: February 24, 2009, 05:53:07 pm »
On my second attempt at bow making I decided to do a pyramid style hickory. I offset the handle to the off string side and hogged out a small spot at the arrow pass. I say hogged out, it's barely noticeable.

When I shot the bow (55# @ 26") it shot 60# spined woodies great. I believe by offsetting the handle I have made the arrow clear the bow alot easier. I am sure that this isn't a new idea but I thought I would share what I found to be extremely exciting.
Thanks,
Bob

Offline Jesse

Re: I think I discovered something on my second self bow.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 05:56:23 pm »
cool eh ;)
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Kegan

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 06:21:04 pm »
It works, but it will cut the life of the bow in half.

I jsut take the arrow pass in very close to centershot (1/8"-1/4" will give you the best flight because, using fingers, the stirng does to the side a little bit- even Olypmic plungers aren't centershot). The bow lives longer this way too.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 06:30:02 pm »
It works, but it will cut the life of the bow in half.

I just take the arrow pass in very close to centershot (1/8"-1/4" will give you the best flight because, using fingers, the stirng does to the side a little bit- even Olypmic plungers aren't centershot). The bow lives longer this way too.

Huh? ??? What makes you think it will cut the life of the bow in half?  Cutting a shelf in will not do anything to the life of the bow. I do it all the time.

Bob, I try to do this on most of my handles leave a little more meat on the opposite side of the arrow pass and cut right close to center.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 09:46:42 pm »
  Yep, I'm with Ryan? I cut shelf in the bow I won BOM with last year while I was at the Classic so deep, you can feel the handle move at full draw. I did it because the Tiller wasn't what I wanted and somebody asked," How deep can you cut one before it breaks". This bow shoots real sweet and so does the first hunting bow I made in 1993.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Kegan

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 10:01:23 pm »
Off setting the handle/limbs, not the cutting in of a shelf. The limbs turn a little- and it's killed three or so of my bows (not intentionally, but before I discovered heat straightenning).The shelf/narrowing doesn't.

Sorry for the misunderstanding :-X!