Author Topic: osage character bow question  (Read 2280 times)

Offline Dave 55

osage character bow question
« on: February 24, 2009, 01:47:13 pm »
Ive had this question rattlin around in my head for a while,how do you lay out a snake bow? do you split it out to a 2 inch stave with a hatchet and go from there with a rasp or what? just curious,Dave
Now is the good old days

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
Re: osage character bow question
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 02:02:50 pm »
Dave, once you've chased the grain and have the surface sanded off and free of nicks...draw a center line full length of the stave by following the linear grain. The linear grain looks like brown lines that follow the curves/twists of the stave. Lay your top view of the bow out measuring off of the centerline. After the bow has been roughed out, some heating and bending may be required to align the tips with the handle.  :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 02:08:31 pm »
Dave, I do similar to Greg. After I get a center line drawn I put a mark every 4" down each limb from the fades out to the tips. At each mark I measure to either side of the center line to make the outside of the limb then cut it out along these lines. This way the outline of the limbs follow the center line which follows the grain.
   I usually use a band saw to remove the excess wood. A hatchet will do the same if you care careful or just a heavy rasp also works.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PeteC

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 02:31:54 pm »
Dave, just look at the back of a snakey stave,there will be no doubt how to lay it out.You just have to follow the grain pattern from one end to the other ,and try to visualize the bow in the stave.Make sure you have plenty of width,outline the tentative bow with a pencil, before making a cut. I usually outline one side,careful to follow the grain,from tip to tip,then draw the other side,keeping it parallel with the first side drawn,then make adjustments where needed ,and then work out your taper to the tips. Hope this helps, God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Dave 55

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 02:40:13 pm »
Thanks very much guys I appreciate it,Im gonna try it as soon as I can get a stave.
Now is the good old days