Author Topic: put first coat of stain on last night!  (Read 3091 times)

bearbowman

put first coat of stain on last night!
« on: February 19, 2009, 01:27:23 pm »
Well guys i finally got my first coat of stain on my first hickory selfbow, wow what a difference. It went from looking ok to really looking sharp. I am going to hit it with the steel wool tonight and put another coat on.

Is there ever a time where you guys worry more about looks over function? I am a function guy myself, I feel asthetics take a back seat to a certain extent.

Offline Keenan

Re: put first coat of stain on last night!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 01:35:14 pm »
 Some shoot for performance only, while others appearance is more important.  Why not shoot for both. In my thoughts detail is what bears the signature of the maker. If my name is on it I would do my best to have both function and something that shouts quality. ;)  Yes it takes more time. But isn't it worth it?

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 01:38:20 pm »
Function first then make it pretty, an ugly bow can br a great shooter while all the cosmetics in the world
won't make a poor shooter into a good shooter :) But like Keenan said why not make it look nice.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 01:40:25 pm »
Keenan, I definitely concur!

A bow can last for many years...why not spend a few extra hours on it to make it look the best it can during those years of use? I think it also helps to promote the sport when other's look at the beauty of a well made and finished bow and hopefully give a little more thought towards pursuing primitive archery. ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 01:47:15 pm »
Function is definately #1 but, with not too much more effort the beauty shines through. A wood bow is beauty in itself so adding a bit of spit and polish just tops it all off.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 01:58:07 pm »
I want both. I am a fanatic about removing tool marks from my bows. Bear, the more you make the prettier they'll get. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 02:33:22 pm »
George, you are an ole woodworker. I don't doubt you remove all tool marks. For me, it is part of my signature.  ;D When I was a mechanic, it was greasy finger prints! ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Jesse

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 04:57:48 pm »
I like em to look good. Performance is first and if its not a performer I wont get to carried away with the finish but if its a great shooting bow I will spend the time and make it look the part. Bow building is kind of an art form to me. Some like em more rugged looking and nothing wrong with that. Depends on the bow also. I dont think a native American replica would look authentic with a thick shinny finish. 
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 08:35:53 am »
Performance and durability first, then the finish,I have to admit I like in that area. Once it is shooting and I feel it is a good hunting bow I want to move on to the next pretty quick. I have gotten
a little better over the years but still ant where I need to be on finish work.    :)   
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good