Author Topic: Sturgeon backed osage sapwood.  (Read 7987 times)

DCM

Re: Sturgeon backed osage sapwood.
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2009, 12:13:30 pm »
A beauty as usual Timo.

Don't know about sturgeon skins, except that sturgeon like deep, big fresh water.  You would think folks in the NorthEast, Michigan, etc. would be more likely to have ready access.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2009, 12:18:38 pm »
David here in Michigan there are places where you can still legally harvest one fish. They are far from common though.
The best place for them is most like the Northwest.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Timo

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2009, 10:22:16 pm »
Pat B, I cut this stave in the summer,hotter than dbl hockey sticks,just peeled the barks off like one would on hickory or elm. I let it dry for an hour,( mainly to let the initial wettness leave) and layed down 3 good coats of shellac. No checks. Great way to debark.:)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2009, 01:05:17 am »
Tim, As you know, even though osage sapwood is weak relative to the heartwood, it is still stronger than lots of other woods out there. If you know it is sound, it will make a good bow. I have made a few bows with different degrees of sapwood; some with a ring or two on the back and one that was all sapwood with a thin strip of heart coming out of the handle...and all have done well.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Knocker

• Tumwater, Washington
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2009, 01:24:54 am »
Nice one Tim!  Very inspiring bow!  In fact, I posted right after you, and show photos of the osage bow I plan to back with Sturgeon.  So could you give us some details of what you used for backing glue and finish?  Did the skin change your tiller?

Thanks!
Keith
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from
us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down
and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set
lightly upon you, and may posterity forget ...

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2009, 01:48:00 am »
That is just an awesome bow Thimo. All around gorgeous and a great tiller.
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

AKAPK

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2009, 02:00:27 am »
That sure is a Dandy Sturgean Backed Osage Bow ya got there :) Like that tiller. ;)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2009, 08:01:03 am »
Beautiful bow ,I like that a lot,Tiller looks great and the finish work is excellent.Very well done.  :)
Bet it will spit an arrow. :)
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2009, 08:21:54 am »
Very nice bow Tim.  You've done a great job tillering that one out
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Timo

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2009, 08:32:09 am »
Yea Pat,Nothing wrong with sapwood.I like the contrasp it gives a bow. I have several more staves such as this that are waiting,(they whisper at me everytime I walk by them) :)

Knocker, I used liquid hide glue on this one.I thinned the (dried )skins some on a belt sander,and then gave them a good soak in warm water,before I applied them. Didn't wrap the bow, just babysit them until they set. hardest thing I found was trying to trim the access skins off! Very tough! I just got them cut close and then filed the edges after dry. I use T-bird finish.

I didn't notice any tiller change, but these skins definatetly have backing strength properties. Reminded me of catfish, and paddlefish skins in that respect.

Again thanks all for the good words,makes a fella feel warm coming from you guys.

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2009, 10:37:27 pm »
This bow is absolutely gorgeous from sturgeon to tiller. Mighty nice and bookmarked, too, for Feb Self Bow of the Month fun.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

330bull

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2009, 11:24:07 am »
Man oh man why wer you hiding this for so long?  It's Awesome!  The knots on the backside make it look like a piece of yew.