Author Topic: Seven sacred woods of the Cherokee  (Read 11518 times)

Offline hedgeapple

Seven sacred woods of the Cherokee
« on: February 17, 2009, 01:05:11 am »
My motto has always been, "Anything worth doing is worth over doing."  I have yet to finish my first bow and my wife says I'm obsessed.  I am 1/16 Cherokee.  A couple weeks ago I thought up this crazy ideal.  The Cherokee recognize 7 clans each clan has there own wood, thus 7 sacred woods--ash, beech, maple, locust, oak birch and hickory.  My crazy idea is to build a bow of each of these woods and give it to my 7 closest friends.

My question can you build a bow with beech and birch?
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline FlintWalker

Re: Seven sacred woods of the Cherokee
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 01:08:20 am »
Do a search in "bows" for each of those woods.  I'm sure you'll come up with something. Either where someone has tried it with, or without success. ;)
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 01:13:56 am »
Beech... I'm not sure, but birch... yes, definately.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 01:28:38 am »
After you've made enough bows, you can pretty much make a bow out of anything.  So, yep, you can make bows from beech, birch, basswood, bamboo, butternut, and even balsa....well maybe not balsa.  But you get the idea. ;D

Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Lost Arra

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 01:11:23 pm »
Birch is good Bow wood....and makes a nice D Bow Style Bow too....I have never gotten my hands on any Beech....but they say if it has fruit or nuts....it'll make a Bow....so there you go....

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 01:43:33 pm »
Thanks everyone.  I guess I'll start gathering wood.  I saw a nice beech at my parents farm yesterday.  I know there's some good hickories and oaks on the farm also.

Another question which is the best oak wood, white oak or red oak?
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 01:46:09 pm »
I have a beech stave I need to try, finding one with out twist is somewhat of a challenge and with its smooth bark its
tough to tell if its twisted until ya split it. All the woods you mentioned will make a bow with the proper design for each wood.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 02:20:55 pm »
I think white oak makes the best bow but lots of folks(me included) have made excellent bows from red oak.  I would go with the oaks or hickories before beech but that is just me. I have never made a beech bow although I have a stave in my wood pile. These are all whitewoods so if you can wait a few months, until the leaves come out, you will have an easier time removing the bark and cambium layer.   
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 05:53:27 pm »
Thats a noble plan, Hedgeapple,  I hope that you fulfill it.  Over here the ancient Druids and Celtic people considered oak and yew as sacred trees
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Hickoryswitch

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 09:51:19 pm »
I'm workin on a beech right now. I gotta alot of straightening to do on it. So far it seems pretty good it's hard and has good strength. I htink someone said it was tension weak though. :-\
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline majsnuff

• Shoot low boys the bad guys are riding ponies.
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 11:40:02 pm »
I think one can make a bow from any wood. It is just a matter of design and perserverance.
keep it simple
make it fun