Author Topic: Opinions on best moisture resistant finish  (Read 3230 times)

old foul dude

Opinions on best moisture resistant finish
« on: February 19, 2009, 02:56:50 pm »
I have a raw oak D bow nearing the finish stage. I backed it using burlap and Titebond III. Humidity around here is in the 80 & 90% range late spring through fall. I want to put the best possible finish on it as I plan to use this bow for all weather roving. Opinions?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Opinions on best moisture resistant finish
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 03:23:36 pm »
I use Tru-Oil(gunstock finish) on all my bows.    I don't think any finish will prevent moisture from getting into your bow but most good finishes will slow it down.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Jesse

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 04:46:17 pm »
Spar urethane  works for me.  I think one of the highest rated finishes for durability is thunderbird epoxy but I never tried it. Ive heard wax is good.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Kegan

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 05:21:22 pm »
Spar urethane  works for me. 

I'll second that. My favorite finish :). Cheap and super- resistant (and looks nice too).

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 07:31:35 pm »
Not the prettiest, but the studies show you cant beat wax. I use tru-oil for the beauty and then rub beeswax over it ifn im gonna take it to the woods. Also the wax will dull the shine for huntin purposes....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Timo

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 08:21:51 pm »
I've tried lots and I mean lots of finishes. There is nothing (that I have found) that will keep ALL moisture out. Parrifin works very well along with all others mentioned here.I use T-bird. Layed one of my bows in my swimming pool for a week once.No ill affects.

Just make sure  what ever finish you choose,that you get it applied well , and it'll be fine.

Offline bcbull

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 08:26:38 pm »
im with timo i use thunderbird  never had a plm ,,,tru oil works good but to easey to scrath and beat up ansd always havin to re do the scratches get s to me thunderbid  is tough stuff   brock

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 09:00:09 pm »
I have been shooting the SHOOTS-LIKE-A-DOG bow and will be taking it out in the bayou next week on a geezer paddling adventure.  That bow is hickory, which you all think is a thirsty wood.  So, i have a nice wipe on oil finish on it and then overcoated with guitar lacquer, clear gloss.  If i don't like it later i can scrape it off.  But, i thought for this week, it might keep the wood drier.  I'll see if i need to name it SHOOTS-LIKE-A-WET-NOODLE bow next week. 

piper

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 01:29:34 am »
Piper, does the guitar lacquer keep moisture out of the guitar wood? Can you tell the difference in the sound on a rainy day as compared to w dry day(I know dry day aren't very common where you live)  I'm just curious!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC