Author Topic: Whitewood stave run  (Read 7085 times)

Offline FlintWalker

Whitewood stave run
« on: February 15, 2009, 07:47:59 pm »
I love osage, it's my favorite bow wood.  But I'm stocking up on some other things to try one of these days...just in case I run out of osage. ::)
 The first pic is some nice ERC staves and a pretty good HHB.
The second pic is some hackberry and the third is persimmon.  I got 4 logs from the persimmon, but the best was the butt log and next one up.  The top part had some twist.
 I also cut a dandy winged elm yesterday.  Anyone who's ever complained about splitting osage, should split a winged elm. I guarantee you'll change you tune.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
Re: Whitewood stave run
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 09:17:27 pm »
Dang Shannon, you been busy. :o I'll take a hackberry and a persimon.  ;)  Never worked either of those yet.  ;)
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 09:30:28 pm »
Well, your just having all the fun Shannon! Wish I could come on up and range around with ya for a few days. Some good lookin staves ya have there..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 09:42:30 pm »
Nice staves. Looks like you'll have some fun. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 10:23:00 pm »
Ryan, there's one of each with your name on it. ;)
 Paul, I wish you could too. I would have liked the help splitting that elm. ;D
 George, I'm already having fun. 8)
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 12:56:06 am »
Nice wood Shannon. They should keep you out of trouble....maybe! ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 07:25:56 am »
Shannon don't forget to spray the back of those staves if you leave the bark on very long with some kind of insecticide. Worms will eat them up when it warms up if you don't. By the way you got some nice staves there. Dean

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 07:58:54 am »
I was on the phone with Shannon while he cut and split the ERC, Hackberry and Persimmon
so he did all that one handed :o Ya wern't kidding when ya said it was real nice Persimmon :)
Nice haul
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 08:11:18 am »
Nice haul,looks like you got plenty to keep you busy. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 08:43:41 am »
Good looking staves Shannon! You're going to have fun getting that bark off. ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

DCM

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 10:01:52 am »
Nice haul, particularly if what I thought was the elm actually was.  Hopefully the sap has started in your part of the country.  I'd check a few pieces and if so I'd get rid of all the bark except the ERC.  WW bark is full of pestulance.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 10:10:37 am »
I was removing a few trees the other day and one dogwood I cut was pouring sap from the stump.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline adb

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 10:13:28 am »
Nice staves.

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2009, 10:17:59 am »
David, that Elm I cut had a very rough bark and the limbs and twigs had little corky wings growing off the sides of them.  An absolute bear to split too, so I'm pretty sure it was winged elm.
 I plan to only keep one or two staves of each species for myself.  Do you think the rest will be ok with the bark left on them, till the Classic?  
I never dealt much with white woods and don't really know what I can get away with.  I usually store all my staves in my basement and never spray them with anything.  
 Of all that wood, which one would you all say the bark needs to come off of ASAP?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2009, 11:52:26 am »
Shannon, I had some HHB that got buggy in a month or less with bark on. Luckily, I had de-barked half the log, so I still got a nice stave or two (HHB is really rare here, especially ones that aren't gnarly and twisted.) Bugs are bad to get into ERC sapwood quick here, too. That's some of the straightest, untwisted-est persimmon I've seen-I split a pipe-straight log with straight bark last year, and it had nearly half a turn of twist in it. And yep, elm doesn't much like to be split at all. :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.