Author Topic: Maple Sapling Bow - my first  (Read 8365 times)

Offline Dane

Maple Sapling Bow - my first
« on: February 14, 2009, 08:41:05 pm »
Hi folks, and happy St. Valentines Day (appropriate as Cupid loves bows, and so do we).

These are just a few quick photos of a new bow. I am taking it to the range tomorrow to try it out, and then provide more details. This is the first sapling bow I have made, with tons of knots, so it was especially challenging throughout the process. I cut it down last August near my home. Funny how staves sometimes magically have more knots and flaws when you start working them then you remember seeing when you selected a tree.

This is far from a perfect sapling bow, but taught me a lot. I'll give specs and more info tomorrow, but for now, it is about 68" long, maple, pin nocks, pulls about 30 lbs, as is tiller more or less bending through the handle. A lot of small knots and a few huge ones really had me paying attention as I worked.

Pardon the horrid color in the photos. I have a new digital camera, and am still learning white balance mode, so the colors are not true.

Dane

[attachment deleted by admin]
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline JustAim

Re: Maple Sapling Bow - my first
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 09:20:30 pm »
Hey thats a really cool lookin' bow ya made!! Great job! -Matt

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 09:46:31 pm »
Dane
That is a gnarly looking piece of wood.  I like the way it came out.  It makes me want to try a sapling bow.  What kind of Maple is it made from?
Traverse City, MI

Offline DustinDees

• the kingdom of bahrain, deployed
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 03:50:14 am »
WOW i mean WOW. i think i could probably make a few dozen toothpicks with a stave as gnarled as that. great job.
“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” – Epicurus
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's Relativit

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 04:43:52 am »

i'm impressed!
f.
Frank from Germany...

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 07:21:35 am »
Well done Dane, the tough staves will definately make ya slow down and think eh :)

Pugarita eh ::) :D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline PeteC

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 08:40:26 am »
Good job on a challenging piece of wood. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline cracker

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 08:46:02 am »
Sometimes knots seem to appear in the wood while you are hauling it home.Very interesting little bow let us know how it shoots.Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Dane

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 08:58:39 am »
I'm grateful for the comments, guys. I'm about to head out, more details later today.

Pugarita, Dana. It is a limited edition poster to benefit pug rescue.

Dane

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 11:11:11 am »
Nice work......
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 02:00:34 pm »
Great bow and PRIMITIVE! which is what this site is all about. Nicely done and bookmarked for Feb Self Bow of the Month!
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline adb

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2009, 05:23:11 pm »
Hey, Dane

Wow... nice job! You've done very well with a difficult stave. Those character staves really seperate the boys from the men! Excellent work around the knots. I know, for me, working character staves really brought my bow making skills up to the next level. Your tiller looks spot on, as well.

Offline Dane

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2009, 07:49:08 pm »
Justin, OldBow, ADB, thanks. The rest of you, thanks again. Frank, knowing the caliber of your work, your words have much weight.

Here is some more info. It came out to 68" tip to tip, and is 1 3/8" at the widest point of the stave. One tip is 5/8" wide, the other is 3/4" wide. Those big knots are about 10" from each tip.

I shot it today, and it is sweet. No hand shock, not a fireball, but a nice shooter I will enjoy taking out again. It shot much better with one limb in particular up, so that is the one that will be the top limb.

The sapling was about 2" in diameter. I cut it near my club in Deerfield, and as I said before, it looked a lot staighter than it ended up once I split it and began working on it. I split it with a little bearded hatchet and a carving mallet, a process that was very simple and quick for such a small piece of wood.

Rick, I am not sure what kind of maple it is. Either hard maple or sugar maple, I think. Those are the two kind that mostly grow around here, I belive.

Here are some shots. Quite a few, so I am posting a few times. I had a lot of fun with this bow. It did make me slow down and think, and I fully expected it to blow each time I put it on the tillering tree. Same with when I first shot it, but it seems to be holding together nicely. The TrueOil worked nicely too, so I am sold on it as a bow finish, even if it is modern. I dont think I am going to even make a bow handle.

There was very little set in one limb, but quite a bit in the other. That is a good lesson to learn for the next sapling bow I start. One of the things I appreciate is how much easier it is to find and process a smaller tree.

And now, some shots.

Dane

Offline Dane

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2009, 07:50:50 pm »
Some more shots.

Dane

« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 07:55:52 pm by Dane »

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2009, 12:16:50 am »
I like it ! Primitive,kinky,holds together.Theres a good bow.Congratulations:   Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington