Author Topic: Bare shaft tuning?'s  (Read 4779 times)

whitewoodshunter

Bare shaft tuning?'s
« on: February 14, 2009, 08:25:03 pm »
I just got the newest Primitive archer mag. ( Very good reading)I used the bare shaft tuning method by Robert Hust. I got my bare shafts shooting the same place as my fletched and the brace height in that "sweet" spot for little hand shock and low noise.But I noticed that my bare shaft were hitting the target at an angle and not hitting straight on.The bare shafts were impacting at an angle coming  from right to left. I shot at 5, 10,15,and 20 yards and the same result.Is this archers parrodox or is something else happening? Thanks   Bill

Offline Kegan

Re: Bare shaft tuning?'s
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 08:50:16 pm »
Don't worry about that. I have a batch of unfletched arrows ranging in spine from about 50# to 85#, and I shoot them at the target from a new bow to see what spine it likes. Even the right spine doesn't stick straight in all the time. Don't forget that fletchings cover up alot of mistakes, and there's a person behind that bow- not a machine ;).
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 08:19:57 pm by Kegan »

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 12:14:52 pm »
Bill, if you are right handed and your arrows are tail right that means your arrows a over spined. If they are tail left they are weak. Also even if your shafts are tuned perfectly your release and grip on the bow is way more critical with bare shafts then with fletched arrows. Practicing with bare shafts will show you what perfect form is.....
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

whitewoodshunter

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 10:11:34 pm »
They seem to be curving right before they impact the target.

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 10:18:33 pm »
sounds like your arrows are a little stiff spined.. no worries brother... just fletch some up and see how hard they hit.. over spined arrows will usually be ok for deer.. but can cause severe penetration problems on elk and bear... believe me i have been there ;D ;) happy hunting.... Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 10:19:21 pm »
 Like Ryan said, If everything is like it should be, good form, release and proper spine, they ought to stick straight in. When it rains and your fletching is flat it should still fly straight.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Traxx

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 10:07:28 pm »
Also,
If your arrows are tuned well,you can get away with a lot less fletching.