Author Topic: kids bow ?  (Read 3741 times)

Offline knap_123

kids bow ?
« on: February 15, 2009, 09:19:54 pm »
i want to sinew back a kids bow, will knox gelatin be ok?  and do i add tru oil before or after?  also, how many strands of b50 do i need  or wouald a linen be better since its a larger diameter for a kid bow?

jstarcher

Re: kids bow ?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 09:38:34 pm »
Whats the draw weight that your aiming for?

Offline knap_123

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 10:21:29 pm »
10lbs

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 10:27:13 pm »
Knox works fine for much higher weights. I'm sure it'll do what you're asking of it.
 Don't put any Tru-oil on it untill you ready to put the final finish on it. I don't know about the string. I would make it from b50. Use about 6 or 8 strands and double serve it so the knock fits well.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

jstarcher

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 02:04:35 am »
For a ten pound draw weight just go to walmart and pick up some hemp.  You can grab two rolls(If you want different colors one if not) of the smaller diameter stuff and make a decent Flemish for it for about 5 bucks and have a good deal leftover for future strings or experimentation.

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 05:52:57 am »
I just made a kids bow that was about 7#.  I used 2- 3 strand bundles for the string.
Traverse City, MI

Offline adb

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 10:16:59 am »
You might have a tough time getting 10# if you sinew back the bow. You should be able to get 10# out of just about any wood. For the string, I'd use B50 or FF or whatever you normally use. If it was me, I'd still go about 10 strands minimum so your string diameter comes out normally.

Offline knap_123

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 10:52:33 am »
thnks guys, i made a string out of 6 strands waxed linen and it broke.  i have to say this little osage is powerful for its size! istill might sinew it o getall i can out of it.  i need to wrap a few places were it looks to be sketchy on the sides.  ouald sewing string work or use sinew ae wll for this?  i think i might get at least 15 to 20 lbs here.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 06:07:37 pm »
Hay John:
Any way you could post a photo of the little Osage??
I would love to see your progress.

As far as wrapping those sketchy spots on the sides most any small thread will work.
Sewing thread, UN waxed dental floss and sinew will also work just fine.

If you use sewing thread or dental floss be sure to soak the wrapped thread in super glue or finger nail polish.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline knap_123

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 07:30:45 pm »
hey david, i'll post some pics tomarrow for you.  you just about had it all finished for me, i'm just filling in some details and getting some  practice in.  i went ahead and used deer sinew for wrap and backng as well.  i think i'll ad 1 more thin layer of backing  and that shouald be it. i also added black walnut for tip overlays  that looks real good.  i've not got any work on the other yet due to i'm waiting on my b50 to come this week.  maybe we can meet back up  again soon.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 09:08:24 am »
10-4 John.
We can meet up some time soon.  Just let me check with the wife. ;D
It is about time for another Osage Run.  I have a good patch about 10 miles from the house.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama