Author Topic: Bowyers knot slipping?  (Read 7128 times)

Offline Little John

Bowyers knot slipping?
« on: February 14, 2009, 10:57:33 am »
I can't make the timber hitch hold on the ten strand fastflight string I made for my new bow. It is 70 inches long and has four inches of reflex and the string is very taunt for the first bracing and then the knot slips. Is this string too thin to hold the knot or the bow still too stiff and need more long string tillering. Maybe  I will make a double loop string.  Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline sailordad

Re: Bowyers knot slipping?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 11:01:15 am »
try rapping the bowyers knot, with more wrapps before you put it on the bow.
dont know if ya get what i mean? ???
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 11:17:10 am »
I sometimes have problems with slippage with a new string. I use dacron and not FF. Might have too much wax at the knot.  Also, I some times put an overhand knot at the bowyers knot to prevent slippage.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 12:00:50 pm »
Mine usually slip just a bit when they're new, but after few pulls, they settle in, and don't slip anymore. For me, a little bit more bees wax usually helps the knot slip less. I find if the string is really dry, I can't get the knot to hold.

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 12:10:17 pm »
Interesting...I thought I was the only one slipping :P
Forced me, though, to do a Flemish loop on both ends. Really glad, by the way, that I finally figured out how to make a Flemish string.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 12:26:25 pm »
I do like pat I put a overhand knot in the tag end and let it slip up to there, adjust length
by twisting, do this after the string is well stretched.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline majsnuff

• Shoot low boys the bad guys are riding ponies.
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 11:58:24 pm »
I have never had this knot slip (bowyers knott/timber hitch) two wraps on the loop end will hold.
keep it simple
make it fun

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 07:58:30 am »
I don't usually have that problem either ,I use 2 raps on one I use for tillering and if I plan on leaving it with the bow ,sometimes I go 3 over and pull it tight toward the back of the bow. :)
    Pappy   
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline cracker

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 08:06:32 am »
While were on the subject Ive seen on a primitive documentary where the string was on the nocks but loose the quy bends the bow and pulls on the loose end of the string and tada its tightens up. I can't get a bowyers knot to to that. What am I doing wrong?
Ron
Don't mean to hyjak a thread this seems related. If I'm doin wrong feel free to delete this post.
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Little John

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 08:41:24 am »
Yea I don't know what I am doing wrong but can't get it to hold. Went adead and made a double loop flemish string and no more trouble. I kind of blamed the small diameter of the fast flight string or the wax but thought the wax would help it hold.    kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 08:44:50 am »
Kenneth, like Sailordad said, instead of looping through twice on the timber hitch...try three or four times to run your string through the loop. Also make sure you cinch it up tight against your bow notches. :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 08:48:07 am »
I've had trouble with smaller diameter strings slipping, too. I've done like Pat and tied an overhand knot in the tag end, usually fixed it.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.