Author Topic: FIRST BOW SHOT AMAZING!!!  (Read 3844 times)

Offline chriss880

FIRST BOW SHOT AMAZING!!!
« on: February 20, 2009, 09:51:20 am »
MY first wooden bow i ever made shot like 50 to 70 feet!!!! i am sooo happy!!!

Offline Kegan

Re: FIRST BOW SHOT AMAZING!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 10:12:52 am »
I bet it'll shoot alot farther if you give it the chance. Were you shooting at a target, or flight shooting?

Offline chriss880

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 10:15:27 am »
flight shooting but it's still green will it not shoot good when it's dead?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 10:19:02 am »
Chris, it will shoot much farther and faster if made from seasoned wood. Green wood is definitely not what you want to build your bow from. You want to cut green wood, let it season until the wood is dry, then build your bow. A well-designed wooden bow of average poundage should shoot close to 500 feet or more.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline chriss880

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 10:20:38 am »
how long does seasoning take?

Offline Kegan

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 03:30:06 pm »
how long does seasoning take?

Depends on the temperature, relative humidity, air flow, and size of the wood. A roughed out bow should dry in three months of so, where as a full sized stave is best left for a year or so.

nickf

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 07:41:00 am »
http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/6222

this is a great tutorial for making your first wooden bow, at 50pounds it will porbably cast 350feet further ;)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 10:20:44 am »
That's awesome. I know that feeling. Anytime you get an arrow coming out of the bow, it's an accomplishment. There's info on my site. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Kitsu

• Räven bakom masken
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 06:58:51 pm »

my first wooden bow kinda had problems, i seasoned the stave *cut tree myself* and just got a rough shape and it SEEMED to bend evenly and i liked the poundage... i COMPLETELY forgot to seal it and i shot about 4 arrows through it just fine then 5th i heard it crack and 6th i ended up breaking it (it broke into 5 even pieces o.o)
i really got upset so atleast it shoots eh...

if it isnt a good shooter keep it as decoration, and though you MAY have made a bad mistake, restring it on opposite side and turn it into a recurve bow, for my second one i whittled it down too much and for fun i turned to a recurve, though like many, i couldnt get a TRUE seal so i used what i had, o.o my cousin said to try Crisco and it just was wierd feeling and stuff so i gave to cousin, it had more power than it normally would of had but it just fealt gross

=3 just a few of my bow stories the 2nd section of this post MAY be of some good use to you considering your problem, but if you follow that, be sure to build in a little flexibility because your bending against natural curve of the wood here... but dont overdo it, youll end up with it losing power and it'd just be about as useful as a piece of cloth
"If you open your mind for me
You won't rely on open eyes to see
The walls you build within come tumbling down
And a new world will begin" ----- Queensryche, "Silent Lucidity

R.H , Southeastern PA/Western PA.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 07:36:53 pm »

my first wooden bow kinda had problems, i seasoned the stave *cut tree myself* and just got a rough shape and it SEEMED to bend evenly and i liked the poundage... i COMPLETELY forgot to seal it and i shot about 4 arrows through it just fine then 5th i heard it crack and 6th i ended up breaking it (it broke into 5 even pieces o.o)
i really got upset so atleast it shoots eh...

if it isnt a good shooter keep it as decoration, and though you MAY have made a bad mistake, restring it on opposite side and turn it into a recurve bow, for my second one i whittled it down too much and for fun i turned to a recurve, though like many, i couldnt get a TRUE seal so i used what i had, o.o my cousin said to try Crisco and it just was wierd feeling and stuff so i gave to cousin, it had more power than it normally would of had but it just fealt gross

=3 just a few of my bow stories the 2nd section of this post MAY be of some good use to you considering your problem, but if you follow that, be sure to build in a little flexibility because your bending against natural curve of the wood here... but dont overdo it, youll end up with it losing power and it'd just be about as useful as a piece of cloth

Making a badly deflexed bow into a reflexed bow by turning it around is a BAD idea. It's already overstressed, and therfore willing to break, and also it won't follow a growth ring.

Try spar urethane, it's a great finish (and it might not be that your bws are getting too dry, as they have other flaws).