Author Topic: requesting help on gemsbok  (Read 4992 times)

Offline DustinDees

• the kingdom of bahrain, deployed
requesting help on gemsbok
« on: February 13, 2009, 02:05:33 am »
hi, im new to this forum. i am making a gemsbok bow with full build along (if it works properly). my problem is the horns are from 2 seperate animals and the wall thickness is off by quite a bit between the two of them. does anyone know if i can tiller horn as you would a selfbow? scraping obviously, no files to be used on these, would hate to waste $50 worth of material trying to tiller instead of trying to match closer to another horn. any advice or critiquing welcome.

thank you
dustin.
“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” – Epicurus
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's Relativit

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: requesting help on gemsbok
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 06:55:51 am »
Welcome dustin,wished I could help you on that but have no experence with it,I am sure someone will come along that has.Can't wait to see the build along. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 07:42:02 am »
Welcome to PA, I also can't help you but as Pappy said someone is bound to come along that can :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 08:52:11 am »
What kind of bow are you trying to make ? A horn wood sinew composite,or one of those gemsbok self bows ?

If it's a composite ,just cut both strips . And thin them to the same thickness ,other than removing the ridges and general shaping , I remove most material from the inside side.

If you are making a self bow ,Yes you can tiller it,just scrape from the belly and the back . And check with a coat hanger ,for the amount of solid horn in the end of each horn ,try to use two horns with about the same amount of solid ends . (like with american bison male and female horns are a little different ,and have quite a bit of difference in the proportion of solid to hollow horn )

Ralph

Offline DustinDees

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 01:12:32 pm »
its a selfbow.  i may be ordering another horn to match one, and use the other one, split, with boo backing i think that would look pretty nice (if not too functional). Thank you much for the replies.

dustin
“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” – Epicurus
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's Relativit

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 04:12:43 pm »
 I bought some gemsbok horn a few years ago from a guy who made a few of those full 2 horn bows, you need matching horns, and even the n they arent very good ,the best way to use the horn is to saw one in half and use the 2 thus obtained strips to make a composite bow, more work ( alot more) but you'll get a better bow
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 07:11:28 pm »
Post some teaser pics!  I've always wanted to build one of these...preferably after going to Afria to harvest the materials!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline DustinDees

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 04:06:06 am »
here are some teasers, i may split them and use w/ boo back if i cant get this to work properly. the great thing about these horns, you dont have to glue the riser into them.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 04:32:49 pm »
didn't mean to give you any negativity on your plan sorry if it sounded like, good luck with it anyway, they look like they will make a nice bow!
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline DustinDees

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 03:40:46 am »
i have been a forum member of bowyers den for some time now, i take criticism for what it is. and i do appreciate it.  any insight on a subject i could find next to nothing about on the net is welcome. (as is any insight on things i assume i understand. you never know everything)

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 11:37:18 am »
Have you checked to how much of each horn is solid yet ?
  It really does effect the stiffness of the tips . And will mean you have to thin down the more solid  one more .(I'm guessing the top one is solid down to the 40" mark on the yardstick in the picture ,the other one two or three inches less)

Ralph

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2009, 10:03:01 pm »
Thanks for the pics...keep posting right up to the full draw shots!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.