Author Topic: My first Osage harvest  (Read 4080 times)

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
My first Osage harvest
« on: February 16, 2009, 09:25:25 pm »
here are the pics of me and my buddy's Osage harvest.  Do you see any bows in these staves?   Any feedback would be appreciated.

Most of the staves are around 4 inches thick including bark and sapwood and at least 6 foot long.    Are there any bows here?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: My first Osage harvest
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 09:36:07 pm »
If you can't get a bow out of that you are in pretty bad shape.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 09:41:01 pm »
Nah... looks like nuthin' but junk to me. You should send it all to me so I can burn it! O:)

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 10:42:03 pm »
JUNK! JUNK! JUNK!  Especially them two on the left. ;D ;)
  You might have to use the 'ol heatgun a little, but I see a few bows laying there.   Great rings too.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 08:35:04 am »
I don't think any of it will make bows...just bring it to the Tn.Classic and we'll use it for fire wood! Yeah right! ;D ;D ;D
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 08:58:55 am »
Nice haul, you guys out cutting wood are killing me. Can't wait to get out with the saw but with 2-3 feet
of snow in the woods I guess I have to wait >:( Calling for a foot of new snow through thursday :'(
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Big A

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 09:00:48 am »
Great start. There is a lot of work left to end up with bows but they are there.
Big A

nickf

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 06:28:50 pm »
you're too good for that stuff. better send it to The Netherlands, since were short of it!

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 09:13:48 pm »
Man, I don't see nothin but bows ;). Nice haul!!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline sulphur

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 11:09:49 pm »
send me one and i'll let you know if there safe. >:D

Offline Dave 55

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 03:52:59 pm »
Man am I envious in Noth Dakota if you cut down a tree youve decimated the state forest  ;D
Now is the good old days

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 12:04:31 am »
Well thanks for all the replies so far, I am still a new bowyer as I have only made two so far, none yet from a stave.  I am thinking of getting a hickory stave to carve on first before I tackle this Osage as I hear it is VERY hard to work with.  Here are some pics of my previous two bows...

So what do you think?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 12:11:56 am by deftones3333 »
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 07:46:30 am »
Nice haul and very nice work on your first couple of bows.Osage isn't much harder to work with
than Hickory except for chasing the growth ring.Once you get passed that it is more forgiving
at least that is my experience.Chasing a ring is actually fun if the Osage is pretty clean. :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 01:49:12 pm »
Once you finish chasing the ring, just run you a centerline drawn with a pencil following the linear grain. You'll need a good light source and just the right angle to see it well. Work off that centerline when laying out the top view of the bow. Might require some straightening of the roughed in bow, but I don't think the actual tillering is any more difficult then another wood. Maybe a little more work getting to the roughed in bow stage perhaps. :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...