Author Topic: where to get osage or ipe?  (Read 3907 times)

Offline srt

where to get osage or ipe?
« on: February 11, 2009, 01:27:05 pm »
i am looking for a source for osage and/or ipe lumber suitable for bamboo or hickory backed bows. is anyone willing to share their sources?

steve

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: where to get osage or ipe?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 01:42:46 pm »
Pine Hollow, 3Rivers Archery (both sponsors of Primitive Archer)or in some cases your local lumber yard.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Jesse

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 01:45:40 pm »
For ipe and bamboo Ive gotten good stuff from Rich Saffold on this site. He also has an add in the back of PA. Richards bowyery. Also KnightD on this site can get you ipe and bamboo. You can most likely work out a trade for osage or ipe by posting in the trading section.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Parnell

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 04:04:15 pm »
Hi,

I was given two six foot "decking" planks from a local lumber store for free (sales rep was interested in bow making).  These can cut into at least four or eight bows per plank - depending on how well the cut goes and thickness you desire.  Hope this helps.

Parnell
1’—>1’

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 04:12:15 pm »
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,6543.msg120393.html#new

Please support the paid advertisers of this board and the magazine. After all with out them this place wouldn't exist.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 05:09:05 pm »
Check out James Parker and David Knights website http://www.huntworthyproductions.com/index.html

Their site isn't 100% done yet but you can PM either of them. James goes by robustus and David goes by knightd.

They are advertisers in PA :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 06:47:35 pm »
Like Jesse S said. Rich Saffold @Richards bowyery.Wont be disappointed here..bob

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 07:30:45 pm »
Richard is as knowledgable as anyone you will find on Ipe bows, laminated or selfbow.  http://richardsbowyery.bravehost.com/
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 07:42:16 pm »
There is an ad in their classified section from someone named Jeremy and he sells primitive supplies and hickory staves.  When I called him this morning for stave information his phone says it's not in service.  Anyone know how else I can get in touch with him?

Side Note:  Every merchant that I have used from PA advertising has been outstanding. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.