Author Topic: I shot my first selfbow, now I have a problem.  (Read 6565 times)

bearbowman

I shot my first selfbow, now I have a problem.
« on: February 12, 2009, 10:35:27 am »
I built my first selfbow, and I finally got to shoot it last night. I have the brace height set at about 5 1/4". the handle is 1 1/8" wide. it is dead in the hand and quiet.

here is my problem, every time I shoot the string hits me right on my wrist bone. If I hold the bow in my hand at brace the string is probably an inch or two behind my wrist bone. I've tried every grip imaginable to no avail.

What do you guys think is going on? I will try anything.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: I shot my first selfbow, now I have a problem.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 10:48:33 am »
I brace mine at about 5 3/4 to 6.Is the string down the center of the bow or off to the arrow side a little ? Plus I usually use a arm guard. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 10:49:45 am »
Try increasing your brace height a bit. If your brace height is too low, the string really bites your wrist. R u wearing a bracer? You can shoot a longbow without a bracer, but you'll probably only do it once!

Offline Scowler

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 11:24:46 am »
Check your brace height.  You may have to increase it.  I use the fiestmiele(?) method, which gives me a 6 1/4" brace height.  If you are not currently bending your elbow when shooting you may want to try.  Good luck.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 01:07:04 pm »
Leave your elbow bent a little or if ya have a crooked arm like me it don't matter :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 01:15:24 pm »
Ah! I know what it is. You need to send the bow to me and start the next one!!!  ;D

Nah! Seriously though. If the string is off center you may need to heat the bow in one of the perscribed method and bend the bow in the middle so the string will align down the center of your handle. Personaly I like a bit of the string to be off center a bit on the shooting side. Means there is less archer paradox to deal with.
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

bearbowman

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 01:21:38 pm »
Thanks guys, I'll try increasing my brace height first.

you guys weren't kidding about this becoming an obsession. I'm ready to start my second bow (I have the stave) and I only shot my first bow one night.

Offline Hickoryswitch

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 01:26:03 pm »
I promise you it gets worse. Before you know it you'll be building all of your stuff. I'd say bringing up the brace height and maybe wearing a guard will solve your problem.
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 04:42:46 pm »
like Dana M  says are you locking your elbow ( the one that holds the  bow) that could cause it
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Kegan

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 05:50:47 pm »
Just make a bracer to protect your arm. Solves all your problems, keeps your clothes out of the way, and lets you shoot any brace. And they look really cool ;D!

Offline Gordon

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2009, 05:56:49 pm »
Sometimes going to a low-stretch string (i.e. FF) will solve that problem.
Gordon

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 09:03:42 pm »
Check your brace height.  You may have to increase it.  I use the fiestmiele(?) method, which gives me a 6 1/4" brace height.  If you are not currently bending your elbow when shooting you may want to try.  Good luck.
Just below fistmele is a good place to start.  Shoot it a few times then twist a few times and shoot again.  Go until you are a little above fistmele a few twists at a time. The bow will tell you where the brace height should be. Longer bows often like a little more brace height. Keep track of the twists so you can go back to the ideal height. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Mark Smeltzer

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2009, 03:38:32 pm »
Another thing to consider is your grip, if the string is hitting higher up the wrist or arm.  You can rotate the bow in your hand.  It may help to rotate the bow very slightly in your hand moving the string away from your arm.  A little hard to explain but I like to shoot my selfbows with a low brace ht. and this helps some.

Mark

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2009, 05:49:39 pm »
....here is my problem, every time I shoot the string hits me right on my wrist bone.

What problem?  If it's not hitting my wrist the brace is too high. ;D

Seriously, increasing the brace height will cure the problem....but it will also reduce your power stroke.  I make short bows (with short draws) so I need the longest power stroke I can get.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

nickf

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2009, 06:49:30 pm »
use a bracer ;)