Author Topic: more Gunther Barbed pics....  (Read 4405 times)

Offline billy

more Gunther Barbed pics....
« on: February 11, 2009, 11:50:19 pm »
I was afraid these pics would get lost at the end of the Feb. knapping challenge since that thread was getting a bit long, so I started a new thread.  I'd like to officially thank whomever made Gunther Barbed points as this month's challenge, because it about drove me to fits!  Damn, those Gunther barbed points are very difficult to make, and I was getting seriously p@ssed cause I kept breaking one after another.  I almost kicked a hole in my apartment wall and just about ripped the sliding glass door off its tracks and threw it into the parking lot below.  I was having a hell of a time getting any finished and kept getting more and more frustrated....and I just WASN"T gonna give up!  I finally made the three below, but  broke three others in the process.  Anyone who can complete a Gunther barbed point definitely has my respect.  Now I'm probably gonna go to sleep, only to dream about these damn points.  I probably will wake up only after an hour or so and won't be able to sleep.  You can rest assured that I'll be up at 3 a.m.,  crunching small flakes into more gunther barbed points.  As tough as they are to make, I think they are super cool looking!     

[attachment deleted by admin]
Marietta, Georgia

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
Re: more Gunther Barbed pics....
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 12:25:56 am »
:)
Mililani Hawaii

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 09:42:12 am »
You got that right man about em being super cool looking. Sounds like you worked up quite a sweat making these, heheheh ;D. I still gotta break out the reading glasses and attempt to make some as small as you do - that just doubles the challenge and I have my doubts. Excellent work!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 03:19:00 am »
im amazed how small you get those things man. excellent job
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 06:36:29 am »
Joe York e-mailed me this picture of some originals, here's what he has to say about them.
Thanks for sharing Joe :)

"These points came from the Klamath Lake region of southern Oregon.  The crescent was a ceremonial piece and they are dated to 9000 years.  These points are monsters compared to lots of other types found in the desert lake area.  The reason so many have been found they were often used to shoot fish and diving ducks.  The hunter would float out in the lake on reed mats with these and mostly other smaller points using a hollow reed for a shaft.  The idea was to shoot flat across the water and if a miss occurred the hollow reed would float and the arrow could be retrieved. Over thousands or years literally millions of them did not float and eventually drifted into the shores.  In the old days people used suction pumps and inner tubes to screen for them.  It is against the law now.   Watcher"

"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline cowboy

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 09:16:52 am »
Sheesh! What tiny points, and these are monsters? I've heard of points that could be covered by a dime but haven't seen one.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 09:40:39 am »
Paul:  I am too dumb to be able to post pictures so will ask Stacey Huston to do that for me.  Watcher
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Keenan

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 10:23:25 am »
  Very nice Billy. You sure have some talent.  These are a few that I made about a year or two ago for a benefit auction.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 10:46:31 am »
Beautiful points. :) That is about the size mine turn out ,only problem I am shooting for a big on,like a knife blade. ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Keenan

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 10:49:44 am »
  (Beautiful points.  That is about the size mine turn out ,only problem I am shooting for a big on,like a knife blade. 
   Pappy)

Shhhh,  Darn it Pappy I was trying to pretend that it was on purpose :o ::)

Offline cowboy

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 04:23:05 pm »
OK, ya'll talked me into it - I'm gonna give some of them a try. Nice work Keenan!

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2009, 06:56:31 pm »
I will be making some more once I get the heat back in the shed. Something went wrong in the wiring and I have no electricity out there!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill