Author Topic: getting started  (Read 3937 times)

chuckcolas

getting started
« on: February 11, 2009, 01:03:38 am »
Howdy all,   What is the best way for a guy, me, to get started in flint knapping.  I live in the high desert of North Eastern California, and there is obsidian everywhere.  That wont be a problem getting supplies.  Ther eis also a lot of chirt.  Anyhow, I want to learn!  Any advice is welcome!  Thanks,  Chuck

Offline xin

Re: getting started
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 01:17:54 am »
Go to youtube and look at the knapping videos before you even break a rock.  If  you weren't in such a good knappable rock environment, I would say start on glass, beer bottle bottoms.  However, you can start on obsidian.  You will have to break a lot of rock, but you will eventually learn.  If you can go to any knapp-ins , you will make exponential gains in your knapping ability.

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 02:09:08 am »
 Yep ! Get yourself to some knap-ins. There is one down to bakersfield very soon and the one up at glasses buttes(Near burns oregon) at the end of march.Those video's are great and you will see what the tools look like and how to make them. breaking lots of rock is a big key. good luck and get to knapping !   Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 12:57:24 pm »
I would also recommend getting a couple of books that show the principals and basic strategies of knapping. DC Waldorf's "The Art of Flintknapping" and Bob Patton's "Old Tools, New Eyes" are a couple of good ones.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 01:10:39 pm »
All good advice here Chuck, but don't forget tonnage and desire :). If you have the desire which I suspect you will soon as the bug takes full control then the tonnage will come naturally ;D. Don't be ashamed to show your work as you go and ask question's here - many knowledgable knappers on this site.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 08:26:53 pm »
You live in an area of some very high quality obsidian.  Lots of already made spalls if you know where to hunt.  It will be sharp so be ready to bleed some.  With the advice already mentioned above you just need to get some tools to work with.  There used to be a fellow with a rock shop in Klamath Falls that gave free lessons if you bought some of his treated agate and jaspers.  Be sure to make an effort to attend the knappin in the Glass Buttes.  That alone would teach you more than you could learn on your own just watching videos.  There is an agate found in southern Oregon called Piute Agate that I really like to work with plus lots of other jaspers!  Post some pictures and the fellows on PA will give you some pointers.  Be aware that knapping can be a life long journey.  Good luck! Watcher   
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 12:33:01 am »
All good advice here. Just wanted to add that you may not be on your game every day.  Rather than get frustrated, set it down & save it for another time.  Some days I break everything I lay my hands on, other times I turn out points as good as I can make.

Make sure you save some of your early work to use as a yardstick to measure your progress. Good Luck & have fun chippin'

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

chuckcolas

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 10:41:55 pm »
Thanks for all the resonses guys, I greatly appreciate it!   Chuck

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 03:20:11 am »
buy bandaids and a good set of gloves!!!! ;D
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct