Author Topic: Gaining weight?  (Read 6234 times)

Offline Jesse

Gaining weight?
« on: February 10, 2009, 01:11:12 am »
Just wondering if you guys have ever had bows gain a lot off weight?. I asked Robsbass how the maple bow I made was holding up and apparently it gained 8# and is now 62#. When I shipped it the weight was 54#.  Its gotta be moisture but the bow was really really dry when I sent it ???
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline sailordad

Re: Gaining weight?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 01:13:05 am »
if his climate is dryer
i could see that happening
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Gordon

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 02:29:44 am »
Yea, I've had that happen a number of times. I haven't quite figured out why though.
Gordon

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 05:53:14 am »
I have seen Hickory do that a lot.Put it up in a dry place for a while and it will pick up weight.
It has to be MC that dose it.
     Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 07:33:40 am »
Its the cold dry air I bet Jesse, I've noticed tha my bows have gained weight in the low humidity of winter.
Ya have to be careful that it don't get to dry and blows up on ya :o
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 08:16:39 am »
Jesse, I made my brother-in-law a osage bow several years ago and he couldn't put down his compound long enough to use it. Stored it in of all places his attic! He gave it back to me and when I found out where he'd been storing it, I put it in my basement to hopefully pick up a little moisture. I haven't strung it yet...
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 10:19:13 am »
Nope. It's always the other way around here. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Jesse

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 10:23:14 am »
Yea must be too dry.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 11:35:04 am »
I had an ash bow pick up about ten pounds over a few years. It was still a bit moist and unseasoned when I first made it.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline chesjen

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 09:41:03 pm »
Is he in Georgia? I have friends back home in Georgia and their deer and turkeys seem to gain alot of weight over the weeks and years... ;D
"Some sweet Day"  Polk County NC

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 12:39:09 am »
All of mine gain a few pounds during the winter... I do too ;D
 It's because the relative humidity is lower and the moisture content of the wood drops. ;)
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 10:41:30 am »
99% of my bows I make in the Winter which is very dry here. Then when Summer arrives the humidity soars so I have to keep my bows in the AC which removes the moisture or they take set and the loose weight. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline PatM

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2009, 11:55:56 am »
This may be a classic case of demonstrating the difference between dried and "cured" wood. Despite what Tim Baker would have us believe, there is a difference.
 No question that wood can safely be dried and used quickly but that little extra bit of time does something to wood that mere drying won't.
 You can kiln dry an axe handle and after a couple of years the wood will still shrink and presumably become slightly denser. That's what happens with bows picking up pounds down the road.
 You should be able to feel the difference in wood that you have quickly dried and the stave that you forgot in the corner for 5 years as you work it.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2009, 01:00:07 pm »
This stave was cut in late summer of 2007, split immediately and air dried in rack protected from the weather, sent it Jesse last Dec or so
and he had it in his basement.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2009, 01:14:18 pm »
I agree with PatM. There is a difference between dry and cured wood. Art Butner brought this to my attention in reference to hardwood shoot arrows but it is also appropriate to bow wood. The longer wood cures the more stable it will be. As the resins, etc cure out(solidify), they are less affected by moisture because they become less water soluble. This does not eliminate the hygroscopic action of the wood but will lessen the effects somewhat.
   Wood is hygroscopic....meaning it takes on and releases moisture as the R/H rises and falls. The slower we can make the hygroscopic rate the more stable the wood will be. We can not eliminate this and don't want to eliminate it. Just like us, the wood needs to breath and M/C is a result. The amount and rate of the M/C is what we are trying to control.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC