Author Topic: question about side nocks  (Read 4121 times)

Offline sonny

question about side nocks
« on: February 09, 2009, 07:44:43 pm »
flipping through the Encyclopedia of Native American Bows.... (pg 26 specifically) I noticed a bow that shows single side nocks on the same side of the bow, which I didn't expect would work   ???
I was under the impression that side nocks should be cut one on each side.

anyone ever cut single side nocks on the same side ??

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: question about side nocks
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 08:16:43 pm »
No can't say that I have Glenn
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 09:11:25 pm »
I've seen the same one and wondered about it myself. Seems like it would twist to one side?
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

nickf

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 12:40:58 pm »
why wouln't it work, and why would it twist? I made some bows with sidenocks, and the string just snapped out of one side, but exept from the braceheigh lowering some, nothing strange happened, and the bow didn't shoot strange...

just try to nock a bow on just one side, and see what happens. probably nothing strange ;)

they'd probably just make those single nocks because double nocks weren't needed, and they didn't want to waste time :p

Nick

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 01:16:42 pm »
Nick, I think the guys were referring to the fact that the side nocks were on the same side of the bow. I make bows with side nocks but they are on opposite sides of the bow. I actually use appropriately placed side nocks to help alleviate twisted limbs.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ken bee

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 01:29:48 pm »
i think what pat said is a problem im heving with a re curve im working on i got one notch slightly higher thanthe other it doesent track my groove just rite ill adjust it and ill bet it works this is the coolest site with the most helpful people thanks

Offline Kegan

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 02:08:17 pm »
It works. I've done it with them crossing the bow, which does nothing for twisting. I also accidently ha dto narrow the tips and had that. Strung it up anyway- and at only 55#, it didn't hurt it.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 03:36:06 pm »
I use side nocks all the time and it makes no difference if you cut them on the same side or on opposite sides.  The string will track down the centerline of the bow as long as the string loops are not too big.....I think that's one of the reasons NA's always used a lasso type loop on one end and tied the string on the other end.

Some say that the limbs will twist if side nocks are used but that is not my experience.  The tips are narrow enough (in most cases) that there is no significant twisting force.  The only problem I've ever had with side nocks was on a bow that I cut the nocks too deep...one limb developed a crack at the inner part of the nock and eventally split the limb.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Kegan

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 06:37:15 pm »
I use side nocks all the time and it makes no difference if you cut them on the same side or on opposite sides.  The string will track down the centerline of the bow as long as the string loops are not too big.....I think that's one of the reasons NA's always used a lasso type loop on one end and tied the string on the other end.

Some say that the limbs will twist if side nocks are used but that is not my experience.  The tips are narrow enough (in most cases) that there is no significant twisting force.  The only problem I've ever had with side nocks was on a bow that I cut the nocks too deep...one limb developed a crack at the inner part of the nock and eventally split the limb.

I had that with "FireStick" after a bumber of dry fires after broken strings/nocks. Repaired it though. I have since stopped using them on heavy bows :D.