Author Topic: storing staves  (Read 4360 times)

troutbum76

storing staves
« on: February 09, 2009, 01:39:25 am »
now that i have some wood have a few questions. i plan on storing them under my house for several reasons. it is warm and dry and if i store them in my garage my wife might kill me. they are all split and sealed on the ends. what do i need to spray the with to keep the bugs off them? i am planning on keeping a few to cut down to a rough shape so they will dry a little faster. these i will store in the house over on of my vents to speed up the process. anything else i should  do to protect them? all imput is appreciated.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: storing staves
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 10:16:44 am »
When you say under your house. Please don't put them on the ground. If it is in a basement you should be OK. When you reduce the few to speed up the drying just find a place in your home that is out of the way. Placing them over a vent may cause them to dry unevenly. The R/H of your home is probably pretty dry so an out of the way inside would be best.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 11:58:50 am »
The most important thing you can do to keep bugs from infesting them is to get rid of the bark. I don't remember ever having a debarked stave infested with bugs, but I have lost a lot of them that I left the bark on.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

troutbum76

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 01:55:00 pm »
is it possible to store them on the ground if i put down some thing to raise them off ground, ie a pallet or maybe a couple of logs to rest them on.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 02:32:26 pm »
Can you keep them over the rafters in the garage or in your attic. There are lots of possible ways to store wood. Some will work most of the time but some only might work. After working all day splitting the wood it isn't worth it to me to take the chance. Your stuff is as valuable as her stuff. >:D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

troutbum76

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 04:41:32 pm »
well i put down a couple of logs and stacked them very neatly in the garage, so hopefully that will diffuse any problems. i am going to begin to remove the bark tonight. i think as long as i keep it nice and orderly, admittedly not my strong suit, then we should be ok. wish me luck.

Offline adb

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 06:59:40 pm »
Do you have rafters or overhead beams in your garage? Outta sight, outta mind, and they will dry very well there. Personally, I wouldn't store them outside under the house, even if you did get them off the ground. Also, DO NOT store them over a heat vent! They will dry too quickly, or very unevenly, and will warp and check. I store my staves in the basement, in a storage room which is temp and humidity controlled.

Offline yazoo

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 09:15:49 pm »
If possible remove bark and sapwood glue on the ends and shellac the other four  sides,, If you have too many for this,   remove bark,use good wood glue, mix in some perithin with the glue,  two coats on the ends,  two or three coats on the sapwood, shellac the sides and belly,  Its a lot of trouble but take no chances, I have got over 600 stored like this now it works, have another talk with wife and put them in the garage rafters, ;)
if you can shoot over them , they ain't to far

Offline sailordad

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 09:28:39 pm »
ya i dont think i would store them under the house

just stand up te her and say "my stuff is just as important as yours so i will keep them where i want" >:D
and then when you come to, ask for her forgivness , apologize and then ask real polite like if you can keep them in the garage rafters ;)

thats where i keep mine and dont have any problems,as far as saling them.
i would do as yazoo recomends,he knows his stuff
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

troutbum76

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 09:36:36 pm »
unfortunately i have no rafters. what is perithin? i have them stacked off the ground on logs in the garage. i am going to remove the bark and sapwood but won't get it all done tonight. i coated the ends in polyurethane after i split them do i need to use the glue? will pickup the shellac at Lowe's tommorrow.

Offline yazoo

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 10:01:14 pm »
I may have spelled it wrong, It is a pesticide,, I use a few coats of wood glue on the ends because I feel it is stronger,I hit lowes yesterday and bought 6 gal glue and 4 gal of shellac,getting rid of the sap wood is the best thing you can do, it starts all the problems,with splitting and bugs,
if you can shoot over them , they ain't to far

Offline BryanB

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 02:43:54 pm »
I finally gave up and now park my car outside.  My wife's is still inside so she is happy.
This is an old picture, there are now two more which are completely full.
This is a simple design which holds a lot of staves and lets air circulate.
Bryan

troutbum76

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 01:09:28 am »
well i built this rack based on yours just a little smaller thanks bryan!