31 (22.1%)
29"
14 (10%)
30"
6 (4.3%)
Over 30"
5 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 114

Author Topic: Draw Length Poll?  (Read 15864 times)

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Draw Length Poll?
« on: February 08, 2009, 10:25:38 am »
Dana's thread about draw length made me curious. We always see 28" listed as a "standard" draw length, but most people I shoot with draw less that that. I know a few people who draw more than 28". What's yours? I'm talking about what feels natural to you in the shooting style that you normally use that allows you the best form and accuracy?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 10:28:41 am by Hillbilly »
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline cracker

Re: Draw Length Poll?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 10:32:01 am »
Mine is between 27and28. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline shamus

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 10:59:07 am »
30"

Offline JustAim

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 11:04:58 am »
l have a 25'' draw

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 11:09:43 am »
On a good day when I'm feeling my best I draw 26". I'd be willing to bet that isn't my "every draw" draw length.
   I think shooting style is where the difference is. My loose instinctive style won't allow me to draw farther than 26". If I stand straight and draw straight back in a target archers stance and draw I would probably hit 28" but it is not conducive to my hunting style so I don't practice or shoot that way.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 11:19:58 am »
Im like pat. my instinctive style wich is the only way I can shoot is just a bit over 26".

Offline Keenan

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 11:48:54 am »
 Gee thanks Hillbilly, Talk about an ego slam. Seems I'm the first to post in the (Less Then 25") category. ::)  As though there couldn't possibly be someone drawing shorter then that. :'(  I'll have you know that my true comfortable draw is 24. 1/2 inches  ;D  If I stand on my tiptoes I can stretch it to 25"   :D    If I shoot with my feet I can hit war bow length  >:D

Offline Little John

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 11:58:23 am »
I think my draw length, or anyone else is determined a lot by the draw weight of the bow. Probably my normal draw length is 28" I can go to 29 or 30 for flight shooting. On a cold morning in the woods with a stout bow I can see my self drawing 26-27" at game. A lighter bow drawn full draw will do better than a heavy one short drawn. To me a full draw is when the back muscles are used to get that extra bit of length.    Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline sailordad

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 12:00:33 pm »
keenan  thats funny man :D ;D

my most comfortable draw and acurate draw with trad styl equipment is 26",can shoo at 28,but always thinkg of my shot when i do.
i think about the string draging across my face and throwing my shots off,at 26" i anchor at my mouth and the string doesnt drag across my face.
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 12:06:35 pm »
31 with the Dreaded Mechanical Monstrosities....but with all Traditional and Primitive Bows....my comfortable Draw Length is 29 inches....OK....Ok.....So I have arms like an Orangutan!!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline sailordad

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 12:07:56 pm »
31 with the Dreaded Mechanical Monstrosities....but with all Traditional and Primitive Bows....my comfortable Draw Length is 29 inches....OK....Ok.....So I have arms like an Orangutan!!!!

:D :D ;D :D :D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline DanaM

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 12:09:58 pm »
Steve glad you set this Poll up I was thinking of doing it myself, now I don't have to.

25" is my absolute max draw length, probably more like 24" when I'm not thinking about it.
See Keenan yer not alone ;)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 12:39:32 pm »
I broke my upper humurus on my right arm into 6 pieces about 10 years ago. Between some weakness there and being freaky about cranking a bow way back, I rarely pull a bow back more than 26" as my full draw pictures always show.  I actually have been more successful at 27" after letting someone else pull it back.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Badger

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 01:38:53 pm »
  About 5 years ago myself and another gentleman conducted a draw length survey at a local 3 d shoot. We didn't tell the people whose draw length we were measuring that we were measuring it. I can't remember the exact statistics but the better shooters tended to be more accurate about their draw length. I think something like 80% reported at least 1" longer than we measured. 25" draws were not that uncommon when measured by just viewing the spot on the arrow they were drawing back to. A lot of shooters draw back and then let up about 1" when settling into anchor also. 28" is not all that common for an average size guy. Steve

Offline Kenny H

• still learning!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2009, 02:05:07 pm »
I draw a wheel bow back 32 inches and my f/g and self bows 30. I think I have freakishly long arms though. I really wish I didn't draw that long it makes it harder I think for me to get a short bow with alot of poundage.(limbs bend so far). I have had almost every bow Ive made blow on me either while tillering or shortly after. I have just finished one that I have been working on for awhile. Lets see if it holds up. I pulled it to 32 on my tree. Only 40 pounds at 30 inches though.I checked my draw on a recurve by pulling the bow with an arrow and having my daughter mark the arrow with a sharpie. :) If I'm doing this wrong then please let me know.    Thanks for the poll,I was wondering an average myself.               Kenny
Kenneth Hughes