Author Topic: practising with stone points  (Read 5073 times)

Offline ozy clint

practising with stone points
« on: February 07, 2009, 06:03:19 pm »
how do you practise/tune with stone points while keeping them sharp to hunt with afterwards? do you normally tune with a steel glue on b/head the same weight as the stone you intend to use, then when it's good remove the steel and haft the stone on? can you make a run of fresh flakes on a stone point to sharpen it again after practise?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: practising with stone points
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 06:36:54 pm »
I shoot every arrow I hunt with exactly like it is when I hunt with it. That's the only way to how it shoots. I have a foam block I use. If the edges get dull a little pressure flaking with make it right.
When I make an arrow, I straighten the shaft, cut the slots for nock and point, fletch and mount the point. I spin the arrow and as long as it spins true I shoot it at least once to be sure everything is OK.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 06:55:13 pm »
I agree with Pat, shooting the exact points you will be hunting with offer better results.. Knowing your equipment inside and out will give you the confidence needed  for making clean humane kills.. I am no expert brother, but have hunted some..... practice with the stone... look forward to pics of your harvest.. Hawk a/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 12:43:01 am »
I don't practice with stone points.....mainly because I've never hunted with stone points.  I use steel.  Also, I'm still a novice knapper and it takes me forever to make a stone point.

However, I intend to start hunting with stone points on my next trip.  I'm going to use steel points of the same weight (for target practice) as the stone ones.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 09:12:23 am »
You can practice with your stone points all ya want if you have the right target. I found an old sofa cushion full or some kind of synthetic cottony type substance and an old bale of hay behind it. As long as you don't robbin hood your arrows then it shouldn't hurt the stone point - a little touch up on the edges will resharpen them just fine if needed.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 10:10:56 am »
Make sure you are comfortable with the bow first.  Target panic will be an issue when you start shooting stone points.  You will start thinking what if I miss and splatter that pretty stone point on the block wall behind the target.  Then SPLAT.........  Not that I have ever done it.  ::)
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 02:49:39 am »
 I shoot mine.I touch up with a very fine tipped piece of copper wire.  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 06:26:51 am »
thanks justin now all im gonna be thinkin about is missing. !!!!!!!! ;)
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 04:50:34 pm »
I use a cardboard box with a bunch of old rags and towels
VB

Offline Keenan

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 05:36:18 pm »
 I use the white Styrofoam targets that Wallmart has for fifteen dollars.  They are fairly soft and don't hurt the stone points at all. They don't last but about one season and eventually fall apart so I just use them for my stone points only.

Offline Runningbear

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 06:41:24 pm »
Try making some glass points of the same wieght ,they are easliy maded and would still bring down game.
Brian. ;D

Offline Timo

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 10:52:12 pm »
sofa cushion and wheat bale here.