Author Topic: hazel warbow, getting close  (Read 4658 times)

nickf

hazel warbow, getting close
« on: February 08, 2009, 07:08:47 am »
I thought about introducing myself in a proper way, so I thougt this is a good beginning ;)
I'm a dutch guy, turning 16 in a few days, and I make mostly hazel bows. Hazel is the best wood for me, it's easy available, and it's a perfect wood for sapling bows.

this is a bow from a 'bigger' log, being 3" thick. I prefer small staves, since the belly won't be overpowered due the crown, giving nice bows with low set.
it's 72" ntn, 1 1/2" at the fades straight taper to 1" at the nocks. The last 8" will taper more, to 1/2" nocks, but I'm  not at that stage yet.

I weighted the bow to be sure it's dry, and it lost 1gram last week so it should be dry ;)
a week ago I managed to draw it to 28" with a long string, drawing 90#.
the stave:

drawn to 28"

Today I braced it to 2 1/2", and started to increase the drawlength by drawing it many times. slowly it went up to 28", but I don't feel safe at that drawlenght. It feels like it's going to explode.. even though there are no actual frets, cracks. I think I'll get everything smooth, add the overlays, and try to get it to 90# @ 30". here's it drawn at 27"

upper limb needs more bend, lower limb is too stiff at the outter limbs..
more to come :)

greetings, Nick
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 07:22:39 am by nickf »

Offline PeteC

Re: hazel warbow, getting close
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 08:39:22 am »
It looks as if you've got a beauty in the works.Great job young man! I can't wait to see it finished. Oh,happy birthday Nick,a little in advance.My son turns 26 today. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline xin

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 08:48:03 am »
Followed your work on PaleoP.  You're a prodigious and accomplished bowyer.  This one looks like a real winner.  Keep up  the good work.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 11:19:58 am »
Welcome to PA, Nick. You seem to have a handle on the tiller as you can see what improvements you need to successfully finish your Hazel bow. I also am looking forward to the completed bow.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

triton

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 11:42:00 am »
It's most likely my eyes but are you holding the bow above centre?  Don't mean to sound like I'm trying to teach you to suck eggs, as you're obviously wite accomplished.
A mirror is good for checking tiller, bows always look different when being shot.

nickf

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 12:29:57 pm »

pete, congrats on your son! he is 10years and 8days older than me, haha. thanks for your compliments :)

thanks for your kind words xin!
thankyou, pat! I'll do my very best to turn this one into a beauty ;)

triton, actually the lower limb is 2" longer... but it's a little to weak. the stave started to have some deflex in the upper limb, and some reflex in the lower limb. So when balancing them out on the long string, it looked like both bend the same amount, but actually the lower limb was weaker. Haven't done any improvements since then, just slowly drew it further and further...
I'm going to do some scraping on the upper limb and the outer, lower limb, as I said, hopefully this will get improve the tiller ;)
that setback handle is also hard to judge...

please feel free to be critical, even if you hurt me you might save the bow ;)

greetings,

Nick

triton

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 12:36:51 pm »
before removing any more wood, I wonder how it would look if you held it wioth your index finger and middle finger either side of the centre.

nickf

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 02:04:53 pm »
that's exactly what I did triton ;)

Offline Gordon

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 02:18:51 pm »
Welcome to PA Nick. I'm amazed what you have been able to do with Hazel.
Gordon

triton

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 02:21:02 pm »
that's exactly what I did triton ;)
I said my eyes are screwy  :D

nickf

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 02:52:54 pm »
thanks gordon. I hope I'll reach your level once, even though it's more dreaming than reality ;)
it seems we both amaze eachother with our hazel-skills, haha!

triton, you're funny :P

greetings,

Nick

youngbowyer

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 04:32:56 pm »
Nice Bow Nick!!! I lived in the Netherlands for 9 years now i live in the U.S.

Goed schieten ;)