Author Topic: Clay arrowheads?  (Read 4878 times)

coyote pup

Clay arrowheads?
« on: January 29, 2009, 04:09:24 pm »
Anybody ever heard of natives using clay arrowheads? I have never heard of clay being used, but can somebody tell me why you wouldn't? I can't see a reason not to. They would be relatively easy to make, and wouldn't be any more fragile than obsidian if they were fire hardened. Opinions?

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Clay arrowheads?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 06:12:54 pm »
Nope, never heard of it either, as far as NA's using them.  Ceramic arrowheads are not uncommon (johnstone, etc.) and I don't see why you couldn't make one of clay and then fire it in a kiln.  It would probably work well enough and would be similar to bone I guess.

I guess the only reason you wouldn't want to use clay is if you had something that was easier to fashion into an arrowhead....and easier to process.  Making clay from scratch, and then firing it, is not as easy as it sounds.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
Re: Clay arrowheads?
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 11:57:01 pm »
    the japanese have the traditional archery form called kyudo-in that, ive seen vented broadheads that were painted like purple and white, real purdy- they'd have had to use something moldable, if they didnt its a good theory man.
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.