Author Topic: arrow crester  (Read 13343 times)

Offline dshull

arrow crester
« on: February 05, 2009, 10:53:05 pm »
Its me again with another question? I saw a arrow crester in a mag PA I think,that used a sewing machine motor ( wife thinks Im crazy) dose plans for anything like this exist

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
Re: arrow crester
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 06:18:04 am »
Check out the post on new arrows by OctoberSunrise.  He made a sweet arrow crester with a drill motor.  By the looks of his arrows it worked really well.
Traverse City, MI

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 08:38:19 am »
Sewing machine motors are the best because they spin slow.  Do an internet search and Im sure you will find plans.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 12:24:30 pm »
Take a look at this thread, homemade crester using a drill

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,10963.0.html
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline stickbender

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 01:55:38 am »

How about an old bar b que grill rotisserie motor, with a small diameter copper, or PVC pipe on it, to hold the arrow, with a board, with a notch cut in it to hold the end.  Or you could put those little drawer wheels in it, so it will roll easier.  check the flea markets.  I think you can buy them separately also. ;)
                                                                                 Wayne

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 02:10:35 am »
How about just doing like I do...and use your Broadhead Spin Tester....roll it by hand and paint with the other....really simple too!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline dshull

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 07:51:40 pm »
El Destructo I"m not that good I"ll need three hands to do that 

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 09:05:05 pm »
El Destructo I"m not that good I"ll need three hands to do that 

If you set it up where you can put the Tip of the Handle of the Brush against the Table Top....and then just lower the Brush end down till it touches as you spin it eith the other Hand....it is reall easy to master being steady
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline dshull

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 09:19:16 pm »
El Destructo this is going to sound a little  ok a lot crazy but what is a broadhead spin tester

salad days

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 10:04:42 pm »
That spin tester is a great idea and would be what I used if I had one on hand. That thing in the thread I posted was my super cheap version of the same thing but a real one would work much better. A spin test is a device that you place your arrow on with bearings. You roll the arrow on it and it to determine the high/low spots for straightening. Check out 3 rivers, they have them. Mine was made out of whatever I could find for free in my basement. You could clamp any drill directly to your workbench if you don't have a small vise. Tighten a zip tie over the trigger untill you get a decent speed( not to0 slow not too fast) then you can slip it on or off by just squeezing the trigger a little. To hold the arrow you just need a couple V shaped chuncks of wood fastened to any old board you have lying around. To connect the arrow to the drill I used 3/8 rubber tubing that I robbed from my home brew equiptment and just stuck it on the end of a magnetic screwdriver bit chuck. You could also use an inch long piece of an arrow shaft chucked in your drill. Then you just stick your nock in the tubing and line it all up the best you can. One thing I did also was to put some nails in my V shaped blocks to hold the first arrow I did right next to the one being crested so  Ididn't have to do any measuring. Also, Testors enamel model paint coats and flows better than any cresting paint that 3 rivers sells and costs about a third of the price. It really works great on poly but if you try to poly over it it comes right off. Handy to know if you mess up and want a mulligan. :)

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 11:21:56 pm »
El Destructo this is going to sound a little  ok a lot crazy but what is a broadhead spin tester

This is a Spin Tester

[attachment deleted by admin]
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline stickbender

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 02:31:04 pm »

Well there ya go.  Just make one.  Use those little drawer wheels, and two blocks of two by fours, and a board to mount them on, and you are set. ;)
                                                                                      Wayne

Offline dshull

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 04:49:35 pm »
Thanks for all the Info it sure helped me out. I will try to build a spin tester this weekend

Shooter_G22

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2009, 01:03:16 am »
i thought about making one with an old electric can opener  i twisted of the star wheel that grabs the edge of the can and went to lowes and bout a femal machin srew thread and srewed it over the scew taht the star wheel went on and then used a piece of clear tubing slide over the femal srew extension and it will spin a an arrow... but its really slow...  and i still need towork up a design to mount the can opener with some of those small bearings to hold an arrow straight and steady...  but i dont really like it... i would really like a good crester...

Offline TRACY

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2009, 09:42:22 am »
I made mine out of an old motor from sewing machine and it works great. The nice thing is being able to control the speed. I think I used plans from an issue of TBM, been a while ago.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956