Author Topic: Knox Gelitan Glue  (Read 8348 times)

Offline cummins

Knox Gelitan Glue
« on: February 18, 2009, 06:26:11 am »
Can some tell me ho to prepare this for gluing.Thanks Ron
Recurve Shooter hunter,Kodiak Mag ,Looking to shoot Longbow

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Knox Gelitan Glue
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 06:46:17 am »
Never use it but I think you do it like regular hide glue.Add water and warm till it dissolves
and get a consentie of syrup.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

GlassKnapper

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 07:34:32 pm »
Tom Mills from PP just pours it in his mouth then applies with his tongue when hes hafting points and such. You can see him on some of his youtube videos doing this.

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 08:24:31 pm »
Sounds real yummy.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 10:33:59 pm »
Mix it with cold water, not warm or it will clump up  (trust me :) ) then heat it up gently. A double-boiler setup is ideal, like a small pan floating in a bigger pan of water or crock pot. You want it to stay warm, but not too hot-around 120-140 degrees or so. Mix a couple of the packets with enough water so that it's like really thin syrup. If it's too thin, add a bit more gelatin or let it sit awhile. You'll have to keep adding a bit of water from time to time as it will get thicker as it heats down.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline newknapper

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 09:58:44 am »
Tom Mills from PP just pours it in his mouth then applies with his tongue when hes hafting points and such. You can see him on some of his youtube videos doing this.

yeah I saw it too...I about puked when I tried it for myself..

Offline billy

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 09:32:09 pm »
Knox unflavored gelatin makes an excellent hide glue.  I've used it for backing bows and it works great!
Marietta, Georgia

Offline Staver

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 08:53:38 pm »
I've used it like Tom Mills by putting it into your mouth and let it stew for a few minutes with the sinew in your spit.  It really doesn't taste that much different than the sinew in your mouth.  I find that I get a hankerin for some jerkey when I'm finished!! ;D  Joe H

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 11:28:13 pm »
It really isnt a Hide Glue either....it is an Animal Protein Gelatin produced by partial hydrolysis of collagen extracted from mostly the bones.... connective tissues.... organs..... and some intestines of animals such as domesticated cattle....hogs and horses. It makes a fine Glue but is not in my book ....a true Hide Glue....I would prefer Rabbit....or Fish Glue over all...but a good Luthier's Hide Glue can't be beat....if it's strong enought to pull slivers out of a sheet of Glass....it dhould surely work to hold a Backing on a Bow
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 12:36:12 pm »
I pulled a locust test bow sinewed with Knox gelatin once until it broke just to see if/when it would. When it finally broke, the wood itself ripped apart between the growth rings before the sinew came loose from it. It was impossible to get the sinew off the wood without breaking the wood. Locust wood is very hard, btw. I wanted to re-use the sinew, so I tried heating it. Nothing. I soaked it in water an hour. Nada. (There was no finish on the bow-just raw sinew and wood.) Finally after soaking it overnight and most of the next day in a tub of water, the sinew pulled off. If that's not strong enough to sinew a bow with, what is? JB Weld? ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.