Author Topic: Pulled another splinter  (Read 6954 times)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Pulled another splinter
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2009, 09:34:56 am »
That's a large splinter! Too dry? Where do you live? I hear that  a lot but I don't think that's the reason.  Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline DanaM

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2009, 10:48:24 am »
George I'm in upper michigan, da land of Yoopers, my basement has been running 20 percent humidity,
thats where the last 2 staves I pulled a splinter on were stored, much to dry. It could have been operator error
but I have no reason to suspect the wood, lots of bows been made from that tree. Tiller was good with no hinges
or flat spots so I suspect it was just too dry.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline John K

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2009, 11:53:16 am »
 :'( :'( Sorry to see that ! I tend to think it's to dry in the house also.....i know my nose tells me that every morning when i wake up   ;) :D
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline DanaM

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2009, 01:08:52 pm »
Yup been drier than a popcorn fart :D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2009, 04:31:01 pm »
bad luck!!!
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2009, 08:17:28 pm »
I'll agree with it being a moisture content problem.

20% RH @ 70 degrees will dry wood down to 4.5%MC.  That's almost too dry for hickory to hold together and certainly too dry for most any other wood.
 I popped a ring on the back of an osage Sunday and I think it's because of the MC.  It's been running around 25% in my house for a month or so now.  At 72 degrees, my bows would reach equilibrium at 5.4%...way too dry for osage.

I think I'm gonna move all my bows outside for a while, before I shoot any of them.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2009, 11:01:38 pm »
Hmmmm, popcorn fart.... thats dry! I had some ash like that , just too dry in the winter,  You be careful there, remember you're my ride to the classic. lol. The tiller tree is a life saver, thats one thing I never messed with was a tiller stick, I read all of Georges info from his web site and learned from his experiences.
Sorry about the bow
VB