Author Topic: arrow shelf  (Read 9965 times)

Offline artcher1

Re: arrow shelf
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2009, 07:31:15 pm »
Proper grip per design (distance of arrow pass above center) assures best limb timing IMO. It's like balancing a braced bow on your finger (it should balance somewhere below the arrow pass). Now, if magically you could pull both limbs down simultaneously and let off suddenly, the bow would spring back into the balanced position without too much teetering. This would be good limb timing

Now do the same thing with the bow not balanced correctly on the finger. Bow is probably going to rock around and jump right off the finger. This of course is bad limb timing.

As I mentioned before, if you grip your bow correctly per arrow pass layout you WILL know where the "sweet spot" is and not have to go looking for it.  Let's use the graphic that Boro put up to demonstrate the different grips. Drawing number 1 represents  a straight wrist/low contact grip (lets say the top of the pistol grip is the arrow shelf). Here the center pressure is closer to the shelf and representing an 1" to 1 1/4" above center arrow pass.

Now, in drawing 2 and 3 you will notice the hand coming up and the center of pressure moving down. You will notice that in drawing #3 the wrist is lower than #1 and this is considered a low wrist/full hand contact grip. Center of pressure is now around 1 3/4" to 2".

Or another way to describe what's happening is with a sliding handle. Lets look at a symmetrical design with same length limbs with the handle dead center. Arrow pass 2" above center. As you slide the handle down the bow the handle moves but the center of the bow stays the same. Here the wrist has to straighten out to maintain the correct pressure at the bow's center.  Clear as muddy I know Dragon, but you're on the right track.-ART B
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 07:34:22 pm by artcher1 »

Offline sailordad

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2009, 07:42:52 pm »
 ??? ??? ??? ???

ok so im as dense as all get,i still dont understand it.
i just grab the bow in the handle,nock an arrow,pic a spot,draw relrase and hope to heck i hit near my spot.
sometimes a bow takes a little getting used to,but i manage.
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline servicebeary

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2009, 08:31:09 pm »
yah I'm right there with you SailorD, lost in the sauce ;)  and my next question will likely illustrate just how hopeless I am.  So all this arrow distance from center stuff actually affects arrow flight significantly?    -nick
I take life 1 month in the Montana wilds at a time...

Offline sailordad

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2009, 09:55:46 pm »
yes nock position can drasticly affect arrow flight
just changed your nock ppoint up and inch from where you normally shoot then down an inch from norm
and man will you see a dif. i play with the nock point on most bows.
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline servicebeary

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2009, 11:30:46 pm »
hmm, I better just hope my first bow, the one I just finished shoots good where it is, because I don't think I'll be able to change it much.
            thanks for the info, nick
I take life 1 month in the Montana wilds at a time...

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2009, 07:48:38 pm »
Archer1, thanks for that, that will take some thinking about, but that is some really usefull info. I've been struggling with grip positiions for ages, and  I think this is the root of the problem, to find this sweet  spot, to achieve the balance, turns out balance is the key to most things , but i'd overlooked this important point, I'm sure this is gonna help my shootingand my bow design
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2009, 01:06:23 pm »
I usually shoot my bows 1.25 inches above center.  My bows are symmetrical. I don't usually change where I shoot the bow. I don't do cut in shelves. I just glue on pieces of leather. When I draw the bow I can sense by handle pressure whether one limb is stronger than the other and remove wood accordingly so the limbs are balanced with may be the bottom limb a little stiffer. I tiller not just by by eye but by feel too. When I tiller I try to use more of my senses than my vision. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline artcher1

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2009, 03:02:49 pm »
I prefer an 1 1/2" above center for my arrow pass because I use a medium grip. Since I give away most of my bows and have the opportunity to watch 'em in action I've noticed a few things. That 1 1/2" above center isn't far enough for most folks.  Most people use a full hand contact and I've only seen one person that would require an 1" to 1 1/4" above center rest.  And because that person was shooting one of my bows with a somewhat straight wrist I noticed the upper limb taking more set over the lower (bow was well shot-in prior to being given away). The fellows using the full hand contact grip on my bows where struggling to maintain a positive tiller in their bows.  My last few bows I set the arrow pass at 1 3/4" above center. -ART B