Author Topic: Photographing your bow  (Read 6146 times)

Offline Gordon

Photographing your bow
« on: February 01, 2009, 11:55:33 am »
Several folks have asked me to post some tips on photographing bows. First let me say I am not an accomplished photographer – I’m a novice at best. That said, with today’s equipment it has never been easier to create decent photographs. So here are a few dos and don’ts that I have picked up over the last few years. And please feel free to add any that you have learned.

1. Do prepare your subject to be photographed. You wouldn’t go in for a family portrait uncombed, unshaven and wearing dirty clothes.  Then give the same consideration to your work. Remove unsightly tool marks and raised grain, round hard edges, put a nice finish on the bow and smooth it, trim leather and overlays nicely.

2. Avoid taking your photographs in the harsh mid-day sun. This kind of light will wash out colors, creates harsh contrast and shadows, and will generally make your subject appear flat. You want soft diffuse natural light – early morning and evening light is ideal. A light cloud cover will moderate the effects of a high sun.

3. Do keep your subject in focus. There is nothing more frustrating that trying to discern detail from an out of focus shot of an otherwise nice tip. The autofocus feature of most modern point and shoot cameras works pretty well for most shots, but not close-ups. For close-up shots of your tips switch to manual focus.

4. Do pay attention to exposure. Photographing a light colored bow against a darker background with auto-exposure will almost always result in the bow being overexposed and detail being washed out. Most point and shoot cameras today give you the ability to lighten or darken the exposure by simply pressing a button. When photographing a light subject, ratchet the exposure back a few notches so we will be able to enjoy the fine details of your bow.

5. Don’t use cluttered or complex backgrounds. Generally you want people to focus on your bow and not the messy tool bench or the untrimmed brush in the background. Avoid complex textured backgrounds like grass and bark dust – they may look good to your naked eye, but they generally do not complement your bow well in a photograph.

6. Do pick background colors that complement your bow and provide a pleasing contrast. Generally that means earth-tone colors. Avoid brightly colored backgrounds.

7. Do pay attention to composition. You want your subject to be the primary focus of the photograph, and not the house that it is leaning against. Crop the photograph if necessary.

8. Do take LOTS of pictures. Digital photos are cheap. The more pictures you take the more likely you will end up with photos that you will be pleased with.

Remember, when you post a photo of your bow on the Internet you are presenting your work for the rest of the world to see. Make it as presentable as you can - it really isn't that hard.
Gordon

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
Re: Photographing your bow
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 12:51:27 pm »
Excellent tutorial, Gordon. When considering Bow of the Month fun, its a shame to have a finely crafted bow go unnoticed because of poor pictures. 
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

John B.

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 01:35:23 pm »
Thanks Gordon, very helpful. 

Offline Kegan

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 04:12:52 pm »
Thanks Gordon! I guess if I ever hope to make bows that are as nice as yours, I should also learn how to take proper picutres of them ;D!

Offline Postman

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 04:31:27 pm »
Good advice, thanx!
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline Keenan

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 08:08:53 pm »
 Great counsel Gordon. Very well stated and thought out.  And you have exampled these things very well in all your postings ;)

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 09:50:47 pm »
Can I add "Get a good camera"?  I don't regret for one minute the investment I made in my camera. ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Little John

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 10:50:13 pm »
Great advice Gordon and thanks for the help. If I might add one little thing. I think the true tiller shows much better if the bow isn't canted in the full draw photo.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 05:32:50 am »

3. ... The autofocus feature of most modern point and shoot cameras works pretty well for most shots, but not close-ups. For close-up shots of your tips switch to manual focus.

well said, gordon, you are a good teacher!

i do my close-ups in the MAKRO mode, that works really wel, tool.
also i use the highest possible quality and do cut-outs sometimes (see example below).
...and yes, i always take A LOT of pictures, sometimes 10 to 20 if i want to make sure!

f.

ps: my camera is not fancy at all!

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 05:38:38 am by medicinewheel »
Frank from Germany...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 05:42:20 am »
Thanks Gordon,I sure need help in this area. :) I get in a hurry,kind of like finishing a bow,I love making them and getting them to shoot ,but then I get in a hurry to get a finish on it and be done and start another. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 08:21:59 am »
Thank you Gordon, I agree that quality bows ought to have quality pictures taken of them...why stop your attention to detail with the last coat of finish?  :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Gordon

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 09:30:41 am »
Now that's what I'm talking about Frank. Nice tips!
Gordon

Offline brownhillboy

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 02:33:30 pm »
Thanks Gordon!  I've also found that if your pics aren't that great, that even after you put them on your computer, you can play with the brightness and contrast and help them out some....at least that's what I do with the program I have.
south central VA

Offline Gordon

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 03:41:42 pm »
I've also found that if your pics aren't that great, that even after you put them on your computer, you can play with the brightness and contrast and help them out some....at least that's what I do with the program I have.

There is a certain amount of improvement you can make with software. But if the subject is out of focus or badly over/under exposed, or the background, colors, or composition are wrong there is not much you can do to improve it.
Gordon

Offline brownhillboy

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2009, 04:10:39 pm »
You're right Gordon.  I was just talking about making minor improvements to decent pics.
south central VA