Author Topic: In progress elm Holmegaard  (Read 29756 times)

Offline Little John

Re: In progress elm Holmegaard
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2009, 09:58:21 pm »
Dane, thanks to the paleo planet link. I have not had the time to read it in its entirety but sounds intresting. I guess the holmie can be what a person wants out of it. I personaly am not so much into making exzact replicas so much as I try for optimum performance. What I know about the subject has all come from Tim Baker. A couple of pics of my curent project, it is easy to get too much bend in one place with this design, when you are trying to get a lot out of relitively small area.    Kenneth

[attachment deleted by admin]
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Dane

« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2009, 10:03:17 pm »
No problem on the link, Kenneth.

I didnt think this thread would last this long. Holmies do generated a lot of ideas and interest.

I like what you just showed! I will enjoy seeing more photos of the work as you progress.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Little John

« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2009, 10:12:52 pm »
Thanks Dane.Now I have to sinue the working part and re tiller to get more bend out of the mid limb. The splinter must have been from too much bend in one area, and the back might have been a bit over powered by the heat treated belly. I am going to be a fan of the heat treating, still retains four inches reflex after being drawn to 26", I would like it to be safe at 29" and hopefully end up in the upper fifty pound draw weight.    Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Dane

« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2009, 10:23:14 pm »
Kenneth, you have a lot going on with this bow. Good luck with it all. This is going to be a high-performer, for certain. I wish I had suitable wood seasoned right now for another crack at the design. Soon enough, though. I'm going to pick up some quartersawn ash for an Egyptian self bow this weekend, I'll look around and see if there is something I can use for a board Holmgaard.

Dane

PS you don't happen to know how to fight with a quarterstaff, do you?

Offline Little John

« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2009, 10:36:44 pm »
Dane good luck finding a good board, good luck also on the egyptian. Wish you had the stave leaning up in the corner in the middle pic. It is not seasoned and still heavy for shipping, but could be reduced and dried fairly quickly. I guess I don't know what a quarter staff is, must be like a big  stick.    Kenneth

Offline Dane

« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2009, 07:19:36 am »
On the quarterstaff, long poles that Robin Hood's men fought with. Just your screen name made me think of it. Little John was one of the chief Merry Men, wasn't he? Forgive me, just being stupid :)

Oh, thanks about the stave, but Im sure you will find a purpose for it.

Dane

Offline Badger

« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2009, 12:19:23 pm »
Kenneth, I like my interpetation about the same as yours from the front view. I have had the best luck with that design over any of the others. Steve

Offline adb

« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2009, 03:02:47 pm »
Kenneth, I like my interpetation about the same as yours from the front view. I have had the best luck with that design over any of the others. Steve

Steve,
Would you be able to post some pics of your Holmegaard?

Offline Badger

« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2009, 03:21:24 pm »
My camera has been out of order for a while but when my buddy stops by this week I will have him photo it. I seldom ever take pics anymore. I don't like to post them unfinished but I seldom ever finish them. Steve

Offline Dane

« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2009, 05:01:26 pm »
Steve, meaning not put a finish on them, not not finish them to completion?

Dane

Offline Badger

« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2009, 05:56:30 pm »
  No finish, as in oil or clear coats, handle wraps etc, when I get bored I like to pick up unfinished bows and tinker with them. I never have a shortage of bows to tinker with. This bow I may drop to an even 50# and use it as a flight bow. Steve

Offline Little John

« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2009, 06:58:59 pm »
Kenneth, I like my interpetation about the same as yours from the front view. I have had the best luck with that design over any of the others.uote]

Thanks Steve, I keep hoping to get one just right but it hasn't happened yet. If I ever do maybe I will see ya at the flight range.    Kenneth